Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

ETEC 130 Temp Swing

I have noticed when running my 2009, 130 on the hose using muff that all water exiting the engine picks up on felt heat even after running 5+ minutes.  NMEA  2000 gauge (LMF 400 and Lowrance HDS) reads about 90F

On the water the temp gauge reads 115 at low RPM <1500 and 180F at WOT 6200 RPM.

Should the thermostat be regulating water temp more evenly?

Admiral

Re: ETEC 130 Temp Swing

You cannot troubleshoot a heating or cooling problem with a motor on a flusher. It has to be in the water for any testing to be done.

At idle your engine temperature should be higher, about 140-160°F range, and at high speeds you are overrevving and possibly damaging the engine at 6200 rpm.  Your engine has a maximum rpm of 6000 and perfroms optimally around 5800 rpm with an average load onboard

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill, Thanks,

I only idle the engine when on the hose.   Here the temp reads <90F

On the water the temp gauge reads 115 at low RPM <1500 and 180F at WOT 6200 RPM.

I understand from your message that the thermostat should hold between 140 and 160 regardless of RPM.

The engine very seldom run at WOT and mostly 5000 for best cruise.  Only have done short bursts < one minute in the 6000 range.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Having the wrong prop affects the engine operations, emissions, and efficiency at all rpms. If you put a 2" pitch larger prop on you should get around 5800 rpm which is ideal. Fuel economy should improve also.

Your thermostats only control the engine temps at idle and just above. As the rpms and water pressure increases, the pressure relief valve starts to open and allows water to flow through the block. The thermostats are providing very little regulation at higher speeds. The temps now would be related to inlet water temperatures.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

First of all I would like to know where he is picking up his temp readings. I have a 135HO and at Idle my temp gage will go to 170 and at 4000 rpm it reads the same. I am pretty sure my temp gage is reading BLOCK temp, not water temp. I run by my pressure gage more that anything.

Admiral

Your V6 water temperature sensors are in each cylinderhead and they read the metal temperature next to the water passageway. The sensor is not submerged in the water.

Captain

OK, next question,,,,why would they NOT put it down into the water to check the water temp. What is the purpose to check block [metal] temp.

Admiral

The engine water heats the area of the cylinder block or head and the EMM "knows" what range the temperatures should be. This way there are no corrosion problems or more expensive style sensors needed that are submerged in water and subject to corrosion and salt deposits.

Highlighted
Captain

Haven't spent anytime with the engine since my last post.
However, today I took the cowl off and found the port side thermostat cover broken off. The cap was intact but separated from the tread section. The thread section and spring are still in the engine.
I had run the engine some 30 minutes in the bayou in this condition(noted in my first post in this thread.. Did not notice water pouring out from the cowl section.
Do think this had any affect on my engine? I got no warning lights.
This condition was noticed with about 90 minutes of running time since the 3 year service. The engine has bout 40 hours logged.
Thanks Mike
Admiral

Was the middle hex area broken away and the rest remaining. If so, someone may have tried too hard to remove the cap or tightened it too much on assembly, or even both scenarios.

If it was swampy or brackish water, carefully rinse the powerhead with fresh water and replace both the thermostat covers to be safe.