Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

ETEC 250 HP overheating @ idle and low speed

Good Morning E-NAtion-

I have a 2012 ETEC 250HP Model DE250PXAA that I bought new and which I have had serviced professionally meticulously. I had 300 hr serviced performed @ 250 hours, 600 hours and 880 hours. I also had water pump changed @ 880 hours and just put in new Thermostats again last week with the engine @ 950 hours. I am getting what i beklieve is an overheat @ idle of about 600 rpm of 165 degrees and at low troll speed at about 1200 rpm the motor heats upt to between 174 -180 degrees. As soon as I kick it up to cruise the engine cools down to 140-150 degrees. When I pulled the thermostats they appeared to be scorched or bown on the seat and the new thermostats seemed to cool the low speed temperature by about 5 degrees but I still believe this is too hot. I am getting good water flow thru the pee hole and when I pulled the thermostats and ran the engine water was definitely running thru the top of the block. I can't get my local dealer to service the engine as they are just too busy right now pulling boats. Any ideas as to what could be causing this issue or where next to trouble shoot. I do not get any warning lights or engine shutdown at low speed but I am concerned about running the engine at this temperature on the troll for striped bass which is just kicking into gear here in the North east. any suggestions would be much appreciated. Is the 15-180 degree temperature at low speed indeed too hot?

Appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

Signed,

Frustrated in NJ

Skipper

Re: ETEC 250 HP overheating @ idle and low speed

I should say is 175-180 degrees at low speed too hot to run this engine? I believe the 160-165 degrees at idle seems to be within the operating range. Please advise.
Captain

My engine at trolling speed gets up to 174 degrees the moment I reach 3800 rpm the thermostates open up and the engine cools down to 150 depending on the water temp.

Skipper

Speckman1-

Thanks for your response. I think the Thermostats work at low speed/idle when the temperature exceeds 143 degrees. Not at high speed. I believe the Pressure Relief Valve is what opens at high speed. I replaced my thermostatsand the issue is at low speedmy motor heats up to beterr 175-180 degrees. I suspect the Pressure Relief valve may be stuck open and this is not allowing enough water at low speed to circulate around the block and that is why I am getting a high temperature at low speed/troll. Can anyone else confirm that this sounds correct and if trolling at low speed with a temperature of 175-180 degrees will do damage to the motor?  Appreciate any and all replies. Dealer went out of business and new dealer is not able to help at this time.

Thanks-

Still Frustrated in NJ

Skipper

Any help or suggestions out here fir the issue above?
Captain

All I can say is that your engine will not overheat until 195 degrees. My engine is a g2 250HO and will heat up to around 175 when I troll.

Skipper

Thank you Speckman1
Mate

The motor overheats while idling or under moderate velocities in no wake zones at 1100rpms or less Walgreenslistens.

Admiral

@RobertLawson wrote:

The motor overheats while idling or under moderate velocities in no wake zones at 1100rpms or less Walgreenslistens.

Do not click on link

SPAM

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.