Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

ETEC 250 Overheats at Idle (Possible defect?)

I have twin 250 Etecs on my boat. My starboard engine (2007) can push the boat at idle all day long. If I use my port engine by itself (2009) it starts to heat up instantly. This happens until I take some of the pressure off it with the Startboard engine. This engine has done this since I brought it home. Pumps are replaced and stats are all new and maintatined every year.

One of the guys at the dealer said that another boat had the exact same issue. The OMC rep told them that when they cut the blocks the shavings were left in by mistake. Once they were coated it became part of the block. This restricts the waterflow at low RPM's. Once it hits 2000 RPM's a valve opens and it is free flowing water. This is exactly what my engine is doing. Diagnostics are sowing no issues.

Has anyone come across this?

Highlighted
Captain

Re: ETEC 250 Overheats at Idle (Possible defect?)

I have twin 06 250s and my port engine will run up to the 190 range if running under 1400 rpm for any time. Starboard engine runs much cooler. I have also put new pumps and tstats in. It never overheats or goes into alarm and safe, but it will run much hotter than my other engine. I have a 20 minute run in no wake, so I just run that engine up in RPM to keep it cool. once I throttle up the temp comes down to 130 -140.

Highlighted
Admiral

The thermostats need water to bypass them to first bleed the air oiut of the engine block and to allow some water flow over the temperature sensitive element that opens the thermostat. If a bypass is plugged or if water pressure is insufficient, you can get an overheat at idle.

First it has to be determined that the motor is actually overheating and that the sensor is operating correctly. Have a dealer technician check the thermostats and sealing washers along with the "blow off " valve for proper operation. There is a water pressure test that should be performed. Make sure your directional water tell-tale fitting is installed in the back of the motor because if it is missing, you will lose water pressure and that could be a cause for the motor to get hot.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Admiral

gundog,

See your dealer to determine if a couple of service bulletins concerning certain '06 and '05 engines would apply to your motor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks everyone.

I have the pressure sensors and both engines are reletively close. Starboard is higher though. I have to bring the boat in for something so maybe they can run a quick test on the Port engine as well.

Gundog...my port engine will go right by 190 and hit the alarms. 

Bill is there a way to blow out those bypass' ? Also are there any service bulitins fo r2009? I didnt see any but figured I would ask.

Highlighted
Admiral

Around 2009 there was a change to the adapter plate with a smaller bleed hole to increase the water pressure. See your dealer as the info is in the Service Update book of either 2009 or 2010. I  am not near one at the moment.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks Bill.

Ill ask my dealer about that. If you happen to come across the info anything will help. Im trying to cut down the legwork being Im getting the starboart injector handled on a favor right now. Otherwise Im looking at losing my season all together with their schedule.

I already called BRP and they are saying if it is a blockage then it is not covered. My water pressure is lower in that engine (always has been). What should the pressure be at say 500-700 rpm? So what your saying is that if I have the older plate then the pressure is lower causing the engine to heat up until that valve opens at 2000 rpm?. Is that right?

If you happen to come across that servce release it would help. I can just hand it to them and then schedule an appt for August or later. Ugh

Thanks again for all of the help!

Johnny

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out with the dealer.

Highlighted
Mate

Johnny,

I have a single engine ETEC 250 HP (2007 Model), and had that issue last year.  It was traced to the "pisser" connector not being properly adjusted.  After I removed it, cleaned it and re-attached it - the problem went away.  As mentioned in another post above - that mnor adjustment affected the back water pressure.  I have had no problem since then.

Danco

Highlighted
Mate

ETEC's always overheating, Idle and Running...

Over the past 5 - 7 years, I have not only been experiencing overheats on every single trip, but
on these two ETEC's I have also had to replace their EMM's within 60 days of each other.... which is absurd.

If it's not the starboard, it's the port.  It's the exact same story every single time;
  1. Both engines fire up normally
  2. Has incredible discharge stream
  3. Overheats and goes into protection mode 
It has happened at the dock, it has happened under power.  It does not have any repeatable
instance that can help us to pinpoint the issue, other than these engines are the biggest manufacturing
flaw I have ever encountered.  This has been a consistent, "CHRONIC" issue, I have taken the boat to shop after shop
to identify what could be causing it.  I believe what I am told by every mechanic, certified to work on the ETEC Evinrudes, 
and I pay the money, to experience the exact same thing over and over and over again.

I have been in 3 shops, 2x a year, for the past 5 years, every year for the exact issue "OVERHEAT."  I DON'T HAVE CONFIDENCE IN MY ETEC's.

I am afraid to use the boat, I am afraid of another $3000 expense per engine to replace the EMM's again from overheat or whatever caused it last time....  I am afraid of the expense to evaluate, service, drop back in the water and experience the same thing over again...  I can't do this anymore.

I don't know what to do...  Over the course of the last 5 years, I have only been able to use the boat, if I am lucky, 3 to 5 times a year (everytime with an overheat) and paid well over $20k  based overheat failures alone.  

I am sick to my stomach, I want Evinrude/ETEC/Bombardier to know of all my troubles and I need them to engage me directly.  I will present all of my historical paperwork and paper trail of expenses, along with the long sordid history and dissatisfaction I have with Evinrude.

I need EVINRUDE DIRECT ENGINEERS engaged, not over the phone... but in person.. how can I do this?

MFG: BRP US Inc.
MODEL PORT: E250DCXSUA
PORT SERIAL: 05162827

MFG: BRP US Inc.
MODEL STARBBOARD: E250DPXSUG
STARBOARD SERIAL: 05156882

Sincerely Yours,
David Hook
305-906-0743