Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

ETEC Error Codes on Garmin MFD

My motor is connected to my Garmin via the NMEA2000 network.  Two weeks ago, I had a NO OIL alarm and light sound off.  I was able to run the winterize procedure (suspected air bubble as the tank was 90% full) and the alarm hasn't come back after 3 hours of motor time.

The NO OIL alarm only showed on my system check gauge (speedometer) and not on my Garmin.  Is that information not sent to the NMEA network?  Would a different MFD have been able to send me that information, like SIMRAD?

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

Re: ETEC Error Codes on Garmin MFD

The No Oil alarm, which is contained in a standard NMEA 2000 PGN, is transmitted by ETEC outboards.  The fact that the engine (EMM) transmits this information does not mean that an instrument necessarily understands or acknowledges the same message.

Garmin recently created MFD firmware updates which provide enhanced support for BRP products.  I suggest you visit the Garmin site and see if there are any updates available for your particular model MFD.

Captain

There are various Garmin units with varying versions of software. I connected a unit yesterday with the older version 11 (2018) software to a G2 engine. It had the "system check" lights on the engine screen. When I forced an error code the "check engine" light came on and a general message came up saying something like engine error - power reduction.
Highlighted
Captain

Got it. I haven't done a software update in about a year (2018) so i'll try that. Thanks!
Captain

I upgraded to the new version last night and on the engine screen, there are dimmed lights for high temp and check engine.  Looks generic as there didn't appear to be a no oil or low oil light.  Hopefully i never see them illuminated, but seems they might be there.  I wonder if you have to be on that screen to see them as i'm usually on a split screen for navigation and depth/fish finder screen with engine info on the side.

Admiral

You may want to confirm with Garmin that the software you loaded applies also to the G1 E-TEC engines like yours.  

My understanding is that the dedicated Evinrude software packages for Garmin, Lowrance, etc. are designed for the E-TEC G2 motors with their different alarms and warning systems.  The G1s have different codes in some cases as do the G2s.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.