Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

ETEC G2 200 HO Alarms on ICON Touch 7.0

I would like to solve a design problem with the ICON system to make my setup more reliable.

Everytime a condition arises that causes an alarm, (water in the fuel for example) a very loud alarm sounds and it blanks out the entire touch screen with an error code description, preventing you from seeing vital indications such as RPM, fuel, temp, etc.

Now imagine, you are 120 miles offshore, you have been caught in a thunderstorm and are attempting to make it back home safely. However, everytime you silence the alarm, it comes back in 30 seconds later, requiring you to silence it again. To make matters worse, you are trying to manuever the boat through 6 foot waves and 40 mph winds with rain. The touch screen is wet, because it is raining, and doesn't work so good.

Long story short: I need a software upgrade that allows me to silence the alaram ONCE, and never have it come back in again, even if it is intermittent.

When I am far offshore, or anywhere for that matter, if I have silence the alarm everytime it comes in, and can't see my RPMs, that is a huge safety problem. Can you picture what it is like going 120 miles, at 20 mph, in bad weather, silencing a  water in fuel alarm every 30 seconds???? Not fun.

Make an alarm bypass, that silences all alarms and prevents the error code screen from blocking out RPMs. I should only see the error code if I select the alarm.

Additionally, make an emergency function that prevents safe mode or reduced RPM so that in bad weather or emergency, the captain can operate the motor and get home.

Skipper

Re: ETEC G2 200 HO Alarms on ICON Touch 7.0

I don't think it would be a good idea to be able to override the safe mode.  It is designed to prevent engine damage.  I think you would be better off with partial power than  to destroy the engine and have no power at all.

Captain

The audible alarm is a good safety measure but was recently listed as " optional and not required". You could install a toggle switch to shut off the horn in rare cases as you described yet retain the benefit of having the audible alarm.
The BRP CTS displays have buttons in addition to touch screen functions so that they can be operated with gloves on or in wet conditions.
For engine information, most NMEA 2000 capable fish finder/chartplotter have engine information screens. A recent update for some Lowrance/Simrad units provide an Evinrude icon on the screen and all the function of the CTS displays.
Skipper

When I am literally 100 miles offshore, there are water spouts and lightning, and the seas kick up, I need power, not alarms. I should be the one to decide when safe mode is required. Not a computer. Making it home safely with a damaged motor can be a better option than dying offshore due to an underpowered boat in an emergency. There needs to be an option to override safe mode in an emergency, even if it leads to engine damage.

There needs to be an operator initiated bypass/cutout of intermittent alarms.

There also needs to be a way to view my system information during a fault. The fault description does not need to be so large that it takes up the majority of the screen.

My boat is 100% NMEA networked, and when a fault comes in, it blanks out the screen and sounds an alarm on both the 7.0 icon and the multi function devices. So thanks for pointing that out: I am having to clear each alarm twice. Once on the icon, once on the MFD.
Skipper

Bluewater Bill, is Evinrude able to do something about my request?
Captain

This is a question which has not been presented before so I'm working on getting more information for you.
It would help if you could tell what MFD(s) you have. Is it a Lowrance/Simrad unit with the latest update that provides an Evinrude engine screen?
Admiral

If I recall, there was a software (firmware) fix for this last year sometime. I am waiting to hear back from engineering. Please be patient.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks. I have Garmin 7600 series MFD. Icon 7 inch LCD. Yes my Garmin is updated, however the alarm cones from the icon first, correct? It was my understanding the MFD mirrors the signal shown on icon screen.

I appreciate you looking into this.
Admiral

Confirmed - the firmware bug was corrected for the warning.

The operator acknowledges the warning, pop up goes away. The warning will occur again if there is a  key off / key on engine cycle.

The update is in the dealer version of EV diagnostics, it is not a consumer type of download. Talk to your dealer and have your firmware updated.

About the SAFE mode if a major malfuncition occurs. it cannot cannot be over-ridden but you do have steering control and low speed operation to move to safety if in a channel or to maneuver the boat as needed. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok will do. Thanks.