Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

ETEC G2 200 HO Melted Exhaust

I have a pair of 2015 ETEC G2 200 HO engines. The exhaust melted on one of the engines, while 50 miles offshore. The engine shutdown on me. Long ride home. The dealer replaced the exhaust free of charge but told me the reason it happened is due to a design flaw that has since been fixed with newer design G2 engines. 

Questions:

1) My other engine still has the original exhaust. What Part number do I need to get the new exhaust for my other engine with the original design?

2) Would replacement of the old design exhaust be covered under waranty, or do I have to wait until it finally melts and fails? 

3) Can you please provide a comprehensive list of upgrades or technical bulletins (or tell me who to call to get this information) that have been issued for my vintage of G2 outboard so that I can get my dealer to look at fixing potential problems before they occur? I have tried communicating this to my dealer and to Evinrude Customer support over the phone, but they responded that there is no resource for them to find out how many or what upgrades/redesigns my engines need. There must be a recall/redesign list somewhere that I can tell my dealer to access.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: ETEC G2 200 HO Melted Exhaust

I am not trying to cause problems here. Truly just looking for answers for my questions from an Evinrude company rep, other than the dealer and person on the phone I have already spoken to. I hoping an anwer on this message board will be comprehensive and final.

Questions:

1) My other engine still has the original exhaust. What Part number do I need to get the new exhaust for my other engine with the original design?

2) Would replacement of the old design exhaust be covered under waranty, or do I have to wait until it fails? 

3) Can you please provide a comprehensive list of upgrades or technical bulletins (or tell me who to call to get this information) that have been issued for my vintage of G2 outboard so that I can get my dealer to look at fixing potential problems before they occur?

I have tried communicating this to my dealer and to Evinrude Customer support over the phone, but they responded that there is no resource for them to find out how many or what upgrades/redesigns my engines need. There must be a recall/redesign list somewhere that I can tell my dealer to access.

Highlighted
Admiral

This is not a portal to factory personell but an online  magazine for Evinrude products.

If you can give us your model and serial number and a description of your situation we will try to assist you or point you in the right direction as best we can.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks. I ended up finding the part:

MUFFLER & HOSE KIT. Adds cooling water hose from overboard indicator to muffler. Serial numbers BEFORE 5510030

Highlighted
Captain

How can I find a list of all engine upgrades?

Curious: How are you able to look up my specific engine history based on serial number if you don't work for Evinrude?

Highlighted
Captain

Any Evinrude dealer can access information on a particular engine by serial number. This will show if there are any safety or warranty campaigns for that particular engine.
There are service bullitens and service tips issued thought the year but there is no comprehensive list of all the changes done across each engine series.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

As Rick mentioned, your dealer has access to everything pertaining to your motors at his or her fingertips through the special dealer website.

The thing to remember is that a service bulletin or campaign is mostly for a limited number of motors, not a blanket replacement. Most often something will only apply to a small range of serial numbers, not the whole year's motor production.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.