Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate
Accepted Solution

Electric start for 1999 9.9hp 4-stroke

Hello, I have the above engine, model# E10RL4SSE, with a pull start. It runs great and has low hours so I would like to upgrade this engine to an electric start, obviously to maker starting easier (especially in cold weather) but also so I can recharge my batteries while using it.

I think this can be done in a two step process, leave the engine as a pull start but add parts to enable the engine to recharge the batteries, then as a separate step add the electric start.

Does it make sense to upgrade this engine that I have owned since new and know that it has been well maintained or should I look for a replacement engine?

Can these be separate steps or can / should they be performed in one step?

What parts would I need to accomplish each of these steps?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sent from my iPad

Admiral

Re: Electric start for 1999 9.9hp 4-stroke

Your motor has many parts that are no longer available as the motor has not been made since 2000 the year OMC went out of business. If you decide to attempt to convert your motor to electric start it may be best to find a junk motor and transfer the electric start wiring and parts over to your outboard.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Your engine is actually a 2000 model.
Most of the electric start kit components are still available except the end cap for the starter.
Bills advice is accurate as just the major components would be over $750.
Mate

I’m disappointed but thanks for the quick honest answers.