Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Engine Data gone missing - Etec 300 Gauges?

My gauges, and Garmin GPS, and in a Nema network.  For the most part things have been working great (except trim gauge). Then suddenly last weekend, while out boating my gauges stopped receiveing any data from the motor.  E.G.  Does not show RPM, or for that matter even the number of hours on the motor.   Simply says no data.

The gauges themselves power one, and do the self test.

I have rechecked all connection and T-connectors.  Any suggestions?

Also noticed that when I try to go thru the menu to identify the engine for data source the only options it gives me it to select a G1 or G2.  I have an E-tec 300 from 2013 so I select G1, but I seem to recall that it used to be something more specific on the menu.

Last peice of info, and this may be a red herring, is that my GPS (Garmin 441S) which is on the Nema network, for a while has been randomly shutting down.  Doubty this is related but thought I'd mention it.  All of the Engine Info used to be able to also be displayed with the GPS Unit, but that is also missing.  

Any ideas for a solution that would not involve me having to go into a dealer as there is not one close by.

Thanks, 

Lorne

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Engine Data gone missing - Etec 300 Gauges?

One of the T's in your network has a fused power mode connected. Check for network power.
Second try taking the Garmin unit out of the network.
It sounds like you have an Icon Pro tach/gauge? When it powers up and does not see an engine the first menu will be to select G1 or G2.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks Captain

For the T in the network with a fused power mode connected I replaced the fuse.   It did look like the original fuse was blown, but even with a new fuse no luck.  

I have removed the Garmin out of the network, and also tried with only the garmin in the network.  Both options don't work to get any info from the motor.

Yes I have the Icon Pro tach/gauge plus a spedometer gauge.  When it powers up it does a seslf test and and needles do a sweep, but then the screen simple shows No RPM data, and the hourglass symbol (for total engine hours) and it also says no data.   The gas indicator, which is analogue is working and shows the correct amount of onboard fuel. 

I can go to the menu where I can select engine as either G1 or G2 but when I select G1 nothing further happens.  What else could I do to make it see my engine.

Highlighted
Captain

Among other items, a NMEA 2000 network requires the following for devices connected to same network to function and communicate between devices - NMEA 2000 power and ground, intact data H and data L signal lines, and two network terminators.

A fuse opens when the amperage flowing through the fuse exceeds the rating of the fuse.  For this to occur for the NMEA power node, the most likely suspect is a short circuit within a NMEA network cable and/or tee. At this point, you should suspect an open circuit in the network power or ground circuit of the network.  You need to start checking the referenced signal lines sith a VOM.  Most likely, the engine is no longer connected to the network due to a cable/tee failure.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks, 

I am not very technical.  Don't think I have the necessary tools to do the suggested recommendation.  Might have to put this on the list of items for technicians to fix at end of season.