Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

Engine Selection Advice

BluewaterBill,

I need some help. Currently we are in the process of buying an aluminum Ranger in addition to our big glass Ranger with G2. This aluminum boat is rated for a 50 hp engine and of course my choice of power is Evinrude. Can you help me with a few questions?

Here's a link to the engine specs I believe is the best choice:

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/engines/e-tec/25-hp-60-ho.html#tab=2

What are the differences in these two model numbers?
E50DPGL Graphite
E50DGTL Graphite

Here below is a link to the boat specs we are looking at for small water fishing. We will not be hunting, just fishing. Do you feel I have selected the correct size and model engine for this boat?

http://www.rangeraluminum.com/model.cfm?sid=7326#specifications

What do you think of the Rogue 4 blade props? Would that 4 blade help with torque being a tiller motor? Pitch advice?

And lastly, is there a way to link this engine to my Lowrance units to read basic engine data? Or maybe a single gauge from Evinrude?

Thank you in advance!

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

Re: Engine Selection Advice

The differences are remote steering and controls version or the  tiller steering ( the letter T) version.

The motors will work with a NMEA2000 network and will display some info on a Lowrance if it is NMEA2000 compatible.

You do need an Evinrude display, gauge, or digital gauge to show and alert the driver  of any warnings by the engine. This is needed to keep the warranty intact. 

The Rogue prop will do everything you want it to.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

BluewaterBill, thank you for the reply.  I know prop pitch is trial and error.  What pitch 4 blade rogue would you recommend starting with or is this better asked of Ranger Boats?

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

I have never run your model  boat so better contact Ranger for a starting point in prop selection.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Couple final questions:  

Can an I use a "single" I-Command gauge 766024 & harness 763543 for tiller 50?

What is the hole size for the 3.5" gauge?

Does this tiller 50 hp engine have tilt & trim standard?

I assume the this engine has a NEMA connection to connect to Lowrance units?

thank you

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

RangerRyan wrote:

Couple final questions:  

Can an I use a "single" I-Command gauge 766024 & harness 763543 for tiller 50?

What is the hole size for the 3.5" gauge?

Does this tiller 50 hp engine have tilt & trim standard?

I assume the this engine has a NEMA connection to connect to Lowrance units?

thank you

Yes, the motor has a NEMA2000 capability and you can use any of the Evinrude digital gauges or displays with it. 3-3/8" is the standard hole size for the dash.  You do have to use at least one Evinrude gauge with warning horn to alert the boat operator of any overheating or other malfunctions. Having only someone else's display does not show all the parameters needed if something happens.

Trim and Tilt is included with the tiller model

Captain

BluewaterBill, your help is "greatly"appreciated!  According to what I have researched, that little 50 hp shares quite a bit of information.  Can you tell me what information it will NOT share and if there are certain sensors/additional harnesses I need to buy?

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

It shares the standard information codes for NMEA2000, rpm, etc.  It does not share the proprietary codes that are Evinrude specific for the E-TEC or G2.  Its the same for all other makes of NMEA compatible outboards.