Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Engine crankshaft offset is out of range

My brand new 2019 115 E-Tec is giving the following error when I start up the diagnostics app. 

The engine crankshaft offset is out of range.

Is this an issue?

I am doing this with the engine off.

thanks,

MV

Admiral

Re: Engine crankshaft offset is out of range

That is something the dealer technician would have to look at. Unless it is an internal electroinic error in the EMM. most likely someone has been playing with the system. There is a limited range of adjustment built in.

Why are you using the diagnostic software on a new motor?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I am using the diagnostics software because I purchased the motor and boat from a boat builder that doesnt support the Evenrude. He purchased it from a dealer near him and mounted it for me. The dealer is 200 miles away from me and doesnt really have an Evenrude qualified tech on site. I have been a (non certified) outboard tech almost all my life and amy quite technical throughout mechacinal, electrical and software control, so I felt comfortable with this situation because I really wanted to give the new Evenrude E-Tec a try over the Yamaha that I currently had.

I completely understand you concerne, but this is the situation I am currently in and hoping you might understand as well.

thanks,

MV

Captain

The service procedure is to bring #1 cylinder to top dead center (best to use a TDC stop tool) then verify/set the timing pointer. Run the engine and observe timing marks with a timing light, the set timing procedure in EV5 can then be used to increase/decrease the offset to adjust timing. As a tech I have never seen this error message but it may be possible that the offset number set is too high or low
Highlighted
Admiral

The help section of the diagnostic software is very good for reference. Also be sure to obtain the correct factory service manual from your dealer or an online dealer.

Another thing about not having a dealer check over and fill out the required pre-delivery form that you have to sign also, is that the motor may not be registered with Evinrude and thus no warranty. You may want to call the number in the operator's guide to see if your motor is in the system.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.