Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Engine flushing

According to bpr you hook the water hose up and flush without running the the engine that didn't seem to be right to me being a former mechanic I asked the tech at th marina he agreed told me to tape off the front intakes use muffs and run the engine this ensures that all the water goes through the entire cooling system including the thermostats
Admiral

Re: Engine flushing

Read your owners manual as you can run the motor to flush it while the garden hose is connected to the engine's flushing port

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Just looked at the owners manual it does show that you can run engine but my owners manual shows you have to block off front intakes and use muffs
Captain

My dealer told me not to run the motor while the hose is connected to the flush port. It doesn't say it can be done in the manuel. I flush the motor not running with hose connected to flush port with Saltaway after using in saltwater , then I flush motor in my $180 Flush Bag that I ordered from California because I don't want a bunch of tape all over my motor.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Cliffb wrote:
Just looked at the owners manual it does show that you can run engine but my owners manual shows you have to block off front intakes and use muffs

Yes, you just answered your own question.

You can run the motor with the hose screwed into the flusher port OR you can use muffs as long as you tape off the holes in the nose of your gearcase or under the anti-ventilation plate. The taping off of the holes only applies to certain model engines whose gearcases have the extra intake holes.

Cliffb,

You did not give us the model number of your motor so we can only give you a generic response.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Sorry 150 etec e150 dcxaaa
Skipper

By the way I'm only trying to help I love the engines I live in south Florida a lot of people ask me about these and have nothing to say it good things everybody here owns yamahas I'm in to buying american
Admiral

I see that you have a counter rotating engine.

Your motor has the 6 inlet holes in the nose of the gearcase, use a wide piece of painters tape to cover them if you use a muff type of flusher. Painters tape does not leave a sticky residue like duct tape does.

Captain

I have model number E75DPLABA, what do I do, what's the proper way to hook up muffs? When I first got my motor last year I bought the best muffs I could find and attempted to flush motor. I have good water pressure but I never got water to discharge from the motor. I called my dealer and he said that I needed to flush the motor thru the port not running or in a Flush tank only. I know I would love to flush my motor with muffs while running.
I can tell you, this is very confusing for me.
Admiral

@JerseyMike wrote:
I have model number E75DPLABA, what do I do, what's the proper way to hook up muffs?

I can tell you, this is very confusing for me.

Pages 58 and 59 of your operators guide illustrate how to use muffs for flushing your Evinrude E-TEC 75 HP.

A quality set of dual feed muffs are the best to use and have to completely fit over the intake screens of the gearcase and have adequate water flow and pressure-  20-40 psi. Follow the directions in your  manual. It does take up to about 30 seconds or so after starting for the engine block to fill with water and to exit the tell-tale

Dual Feed Flusher from Amazon:

Dual Feed Moeller Flusher