Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Engine miss

When I am going just a little over an idle I get an occasional miss.  I have a 25hp E-Tec that I just bought this year.  If I run a little harder it goes away but gives me a sinking feeling when I'm a long way from the dock and it does this. 

Any suggestions?

Admiral

Re: Engine miss

[ Edited ]

Hi Grampa-Jim,

It's kind of hard to troubleshoot a noise or a miss without being there with test equipment. This question should be in the PERFORMANCE community under Evinrude E-TEC.

There is a  narrow rpm range where the motor transitions from the lean-burn mode to the regular mode and sometimes you can feel a change in the engine. Often different propellers or even moving weight distribution in the boat can minimize it. Other things that can affect a miss are the sparkplugs with too wide a gap, thermostats not warming up the motor enough, and the TPS calibration adjustment. If it becomes objectionable, then it's time to see your dealer to have it checked out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.