Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Engine randomly shuts off

I have a 2004 200hp Evinrude. Was driving boat today, running about 25-30mph without any issues and all of the sudden the motor just shut down. I do not have kill switch on the boat. Batteries turn on with key and all electronics worked. Could not get motor to start to turn over. Checked starter and wires and found nothing loose. About 15 minutes later after checking everything I could think of motor turns over, starts just fine, and works like normal. Anyone out there have suggestions as to what may be going on?
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Engine randomly shuts off

Where any of the warning lites on when you tried to restart?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Ethanol in fuel?  Vapor lock?

Highlighted
Mate

No warning lights come on during restart. I have only ever put rec fuel in tank
Highlighted
Admiral

If after the motor dies and you go to restart it, if you do not hear the fuel pump kick in like it should, there may be an internal EMM electronic malfunction that may need repaired by companies that specialize in FICHT electronics.

On your motor there is also a 20 amp fuse inside a holder near the power distribution panel that  often gets corrosion buildup on the contacts and could interupt the 12 volts to the EMM.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Bluewater Bill - I don’t ever remember hearing the fuel pump coming on even before this. Key turns on, motor starts.

I’ll look for that fuse and see if that has gone bad or has corrosion. Thanks for the info.