Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Engine sound

I have a 2011 E-Tec 115 HO on my 17 ft flats boat. When I'm up around 3000rpms the engine makes a distinct repeating sound in its noise level. At around 4000rpms the sound is a constant noise. It just seems like a strange cadence of sound. Is this normal or do I have problems. The engine seems to run great but the engine sound @ 3000+ rpms is a bit unsettling.

Admiral

Re: Engine sound

It is very hard to diagnose an engine sound with a keyboard and a monitor. Are you hearing perhaps a resonating noise due to your boat or items aboard? The best way to find out for sure is to have a trained tech go for a ride with you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I'm talking about the engine noise or lack of a better word its engine roar. At 3000+rpms there is a repeating roar level -a cadence of sound . W hen I reach 4000+ rpms there is a single constant roar. My 93' 115 evinrude didnt have this engine sound.Just not sure if its a trait of the E-Tec HO.

Admiral

Two things come to mind.

1)  Perhaps the air silencer box on the front of the motor is displaced or loose allowing you to hear the air intake roar when the motor is run at higher speeds.

2) Your motor has a movable exhaust tuning valve that changes postion and re-routes the exhaust flow somewhere in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range depending on engine load and conditions. The sound you are experiencing could be the exhaust note changing tone as it is being diverted along a different passageway inside the exhaust housing.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I have the same issue with my 115 etec. It sounds like twin engines out of sync, but I only have a single. The folks I bought it from said its the point where the fuel injection changes phase, or something like that. They told me they can change the point higher or lower so I won't hear it at my normal cruising rpm. I haven't done that yet now that I know it's not a serious problem. I am wondering if that alternating phase is affecting fuel economy. Anybody know about this?

Jeff

Admiral

The transition point is usually in the 1200-2000 rpm range for most E-TECs and that depends on the engine model and the "load" on it.

Sometimes the way the engine is propped will make a difference in its sound. If your engine does not reach about 5600 rpm a normal load of passengers and gear aboard and a full tank of gas, changing to a different propeller may help. The ideal rpm with those conditions are 5600-5750 for best results. Talk to a knowledgeable dealer.

Skipper

Thanks Bill. My boat is a 26' Imemsa panga and I normally run about 4000 rpm which gives me 27 or 28 mph. WOT is 5500 rpm and 40 mph when the boat was new and light. Now with a t-top and stuff it's 39 mph at 5400 rpm. Being that I usually run in 2 to 3 footers I rarely go that fast. I will check WOT again next trip now that I know the out-of-sync noise in not from transition. Maybe I'm propped wrong. Thanks again for the tip.

Admiral

Test the boat with a full tank a fuel and a number of passengers aboard. The rpm should be above 5600 rpm for best results.

Skipper

My dealer lent me a 4 blade 13 1/4 x 15 stainless steel prop and the preformance is a little better at 5600 rpm and 38 mph but the wa-wa-wa sound at 4000 rpm is even louder. While doing a hole shot it was like a car peeling rubber, the engine racing and then grabbing traction and accelerating rapidly. I don't normally do hole shots; I power up gradually and get no cavatation.

The first prop was 3 blade 13 7/8 x 15. The hull weight is very light for a 26'er, just 1600 lbs. The fuel tank only holds 29 gallons. The panga hull form has a nearly flat 12" delta pad running nearly the entire length of the boat. It planes very easily. I'm wondering if I should try a prop with more pitch. I'm also wondering if the dealer mounted the engine correctly.

Admiral

That 4 blade prop may have exhaust bleed holes in it or may be ventilating when you start off.

You do want the rpm to be above 5600 for best performance so try various propellers to see which works best for you. Do you have any friends with Johnson or Evinrude outboards that use the same 13 spline props?

On engine mounting, with someone driving the boat at cruising speed and properly trimmed out carefully look at the anti-ventilation plate to see if it is visible just on top of the water. If buried, the motor is too low and should be raised one hole at a time.