Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Engine turned off while under power - will not crank or start

[ Edited ]

After running back from fishing my etec engine suddenly turned off. Was at about 4000 RPM and there was no warning light, hesitation or anything out of the ordinary - as if the key had been switched to off.

I checked that nothing was wrapped in the prop, and that fuel was getting to the engine. Tried to start the engine again and the 4 dash lights appeared and then disappeared when in the 'On' position as per normal. When I turned it to 'Start' there was nothing. No attempt to crank or anything. I still have all power to accessories, trim tabs and engine power tilt.

Engine

2007 Evinrude Etec Saltwater Series

200 HP

Model: E200DSLSUF

What i've tried:

- Replaced the ignition switch

- Checked the Solenoid with a multimeter and received 12V on the Power terminal, but nothing on the other terminal that ties to the starter when I turn the key to On and Start

- Replaced the Solenoid Switch (same issue with the multimeter reading as above with the old solenoid)

- Inspected all the connections & terminals, nothing appeared visually disconnected/corroded

- Tried starting while wiggling the throttle in case it wasn't quite in Neutral

- Inspected the lights on the EMM/Blackbox and the only light appearing is the 'Lanyward/Stop Okay' - the other 3 do NOT light up

I believe now that something relating to the below is causing the solenoid to not activate and transfer power to the starter.

Unknown:

1) Neutral safety switch (Wasn't able to determine where in the throttle this is located)

2) A wire from the igntion to the engine has a short/bad connection (unable to determine a way to test this)

3) The EMM needs to be reset/replaced

There are no mobile Etec technicians in my area, and unfortuantely dont have the ability to get it trailered to a shop. Hoping someone here has experience with this and is able to help troubleshoot one of the unknowns.

Appreciate the help!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Engine turned off while under power - will not crank or start

Does the trim work?

Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to ON?

Did you check the fuse?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks for the quick response BluewaterBill.

Yes the trim works.

I cannot hear the fuel pump.

Checked the only fuse I could fine. A 10Amp fuse under the cowling which look fine, but I replaced it with the spare that was provided.

Highlighted
Captain

Check at key on for 30 volts on any white wire with a red stripe. Only one EMM light on and no fuel pump running at key on indicates an EMM problem.
Highlighted
Mate

Thanks!

How would one check the voltage on that wire? all the wires seem to go into a multiple connection that is plugged into the EMM.

Highlighted
Captain

Check at the injector or oil pump connections
Highlighted
Mate

The same just happened to me today. Travling around 4000 rpm engine running smoothly was making a nice wide turn and all of the sudden the engine stalls no dputter nothing it just stopped! Then It would not start nor did it try to turn over.sll that occured when I turned the key was that the gauges come on. I DC id notice my ignigtion was lose and turning when I turned the key.

Do you ever find out the cause?