Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Engine wont crank

I have a pair of 2006 Evinrude e-tec 250, and the other day i was cruising at about 25mph and the starboard engine suddenly shut off and would not even crank, i got home and tried to start it. When the key is turned the fuel pump doesn’t turn on and the emm starts making strange clicking noises, and the lights on the side of the emm are very dim but only the bottom light is on. When i turn the key on the other motor the fuel punp turns on and all the lights on the emm are on and very bright. First i cleaned all the battery connections, then checked the main 10amp fuse on the motor all of that was okay. Could anyone help me figure out what the problem is. I really dont want to have to buy a new emm
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Engine wont crank

It is possible that the VST's electric fuel pump is corroded or binding which makes it draw too much current from the EMM. Disconnect the pump wiring and see if the EMM clicking and dim lights go back to normal.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thank you very much I will be doing that now
Highlighted
Mate

Nope still the same
Highlighted
Admiral

It is recommended that you seek the services of a factory trained technician with the proper diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot your problem.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Ok thanks I think that would be the best option