Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Error code 49

Hello all,

I am recieving repeated "error code 49 service sensor soon" messages on my Garmin 8610. I believe this error code is related to the inlet air temperature sensor on either of my 2017 135 HP ETECs.

Can anyone tell me how to "service" this sensor, and perhaps provide a diagram or photo of how to locate this sensor?

Thank You!

Captain

Re: Error code 49

EMM code 49 indicates inlet air temperature sensor reporting a temperature higher than expected.

More detai regarding operating conditions would aid in providing a more accurate analysis.  For example, does the fault occur immediately upon key on of the engine?  Does it occur while underway?  Slow speed or high speed or both?

Knowing engine model as well as EMM firmware version would also help.  There have been EMM firmware updates which raised the temperature at which code 49 is set.

Skipper

Thank you for your reply. I will get the required information on my next outing here on the Sea of Cortez, and get back to you.

Thanks again!

Captain

The air temp sensor is held in the plastic air silencer at the front of the engine. 1/4 turn counterclockwise will remove it. As a dealer tech I have never seen a bad sensor, I have seen the code a number of times when the under hood temperatures got above 145F on engines without the software update. This usually occurs if the engine has been idiling or sitting in the sun. After running for a couple of minutes the code/warning will clear as air movement under the cowl will cool it down.
Captain

I have a graphite (black) motor and have had the hot air alarm go off once this past July 4th. It was a hot day, no wind, and we had just come off plane to our fishing spot.

That being said, why isn't there an air intake on the front of the cowling to help this situation? Anyone successfully make their own front air intake?
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

Air intakes are designed as they are to minimize water injection and operational sound levels.  A front air inlet would certainly increase operating sound levels.

The nuisance air inlet temperature faults have been addressed in EMM firmware updates.  If you are experiencing them, you should verify you have the most current firmware loaded.

Skipper

The engines are two different models. One is a E135HCXABK manufacrtured in 2015. The other is a E135DHXABG manufactured in 2016. The alarm does not sound upon initial start, but does sound after a few minutes at low rpm, trolling at about 1500 rpm.

I do not know what firmware version I have. Nor do I know how to tell.

As far as updating goes, I have been able to procure emm cables, and EvDiagnostics version 5.1.0.0. Is this safe to run on my motors?

It does get quite hot here in Loreto, Baja California Sur. Usually the summer air temperature is above 90 farenheit up to over 100 degrees.

Thanks for all the help!!

Captain

Yes, that version of EV diagnostics is ok to use on your engines.
There is a screen that shows faults. Under to occured faults tab you can click on the air temp fault and at the bottom of the screen it will show data at the time the code set.
On the engine identification page it will show software versions.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you so much! Any ideas on where to purchase the latest updates for these motors?

Admiral

See your Evinrude dealer. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.