Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Etec 115 HO - what is the lower gear Ratio - Does BRP even know?!

I just purchased an Etec 115 HO and the information on the BRP website has it having the 2.44 lower unit but it appears that the engine I have has a 2.0 lower unit. Not very happy that the specifications on the website say one thing and the actual expensive engine is built to another spec. I specifically wanted the 2.44 lower end so I am extremely disappointed at this time. If I was going to get the 2.0 lower end I would have purchased the standard 115 (saved some money) or purchased a Mercury 115 Command Thrust so I could swing the larger props. I am really unhappy and would like to know if I have any recourse with BRP. Mike
Admiral

Re: Etec 115 HO - what is the lower gear Ratio - Does BRP even know?!

[ Edited ]

The lower unit gear ratio change is by model number.  What does the serial number tag on your motor say for the model #? 

The 20" model has a 2:1 lower unit and the 25" model has a 2.25:1 lower unit. The Pontoon Series 115 uses a 2.44:1 gearcase.

That probably should be a discussion with your dealer if you asked for a specific gear ratio engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

model number:  a115shlafh

ser:  05460840

mfg:  03/2016

It was a discussion item and it said 2.44.  I did discuss on this site the pontoon series info on the evinrude site and the site has been updated with correct information.  the 115 HO still shows 2.44 on the site.  go to this link and see for yourself. 

http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/engines/etec_ho/etec_115_ho 

look under comparisons.  

The brochure had it listed as 2.44 as well but has been updated since I purchased.  Wish I would have downloaded the old brochure so I could at least point to that as well.  

Whoever is responsible for the evinrude site needs to confirm that the information being presented by Evinrude is correct.  

Mike

Skipper

Looked at my thread I posted on the 115 pontoon series and found the 2015 brochure link.  The 115 HO actually is not listed in the 2015 brochure but was on the website.  

Captain

No such model number, are you sure it is that and not E115HSLAFF or perhaps E115SNLAFH? If so it is a L/S HO, the pontoon series does not come in HO configuartion and it uses the 2:1 ratio as Bill said. If the latetr number it uses the V6 geagox called the O series and uses the 2.25:1 ratio. Perhaps letting us know what P/N the prop is will determine what gearcase you have-the 13 or 15 spline one.

Captain

PS- just ran that serial number and the model of your engine is A115SHLAF like you mentioned and it uses the L/S S2 gearcase with a 2.36:1 ratio.
Skipper

Thanks for looking that up.   Just really disappointed on the Evinrude site with the wrong information being posted.  The site still have it listed as a 2.44 lower end on the comparison site and 2.0 in the brochure.   They also had information wrong in the 2015 brochure which I asked about (wanted the feature listed)  and it was fixed for 2016 - feature was not offered in that engine.  

Just feel like I did my research and thought I knew the specifications for the motor I was puchasing.  Anyway I am off the ledge but would not have bought the 115 HO knowing what I know now - I would have just purchsed the standard 115.  

I wanted to swing a bigger prop on the boat and I thought the 115 HO used the v6 lower end - so that is the rub.

Skipper

My dealer was on a call with Evinrude today to confirm the same thing.  All of his literature says the lower end is a 2.44 gear ratio.  He said he was online for about an hour trying to get the exact information on the motor.  Evidently their has been a change to the HO and since I am not now in the V6 lower end I am wondering what advantage there is to the HO.

BRP needs to get their act together and update their literature and supply those updates to the dealer network.  

I really like my dealer and look forward to have my boat in the water but would like to know who I call at BRP to discuss my purchase.

Admiral

Customer Service - After Sales Support
BRP US Inc. / Marine Propulsion Systems,
After Sales Support,
P.O Box 597,
Sturtevant, WI 53177,
1- 844-345-4277

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok so this is how I feel about the specifications changing from what is published and what was delivered.  Keep in mind even on here I was told it was a 2.0 gear ratio lower end and my dealer was told it was a 2.44 with a 15 spline lower end (as it is stated in the brochures).  It took an hour for the support center to find out it was a 2.36 gear ratio lower end and a 13 spline.  They asked my dealer to check the engine!

So I feel like I ordered a dually truck with a 4.10 rear end but received a two wheel axle and a 3.73 rear end.  I.E.  I will be swinging a v4 instead of a v6 prop and the gear ratio changed.   

I was comparing the motor to the Mercury 115 Command Thrust that had the 150 HP lower end.  My boat stays very wet and I wanted to move more water so I could get on top at a lower RPM which all of the test figures I saw is what I would get.  So now I have the same gear ratio as the Mercury but not able to put on a V6 propeller.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is of the HO over the normally aspired 115 Evinrude.  My Dealer has asked this same question.  I only see a downside to going to a lower gear ratio.  I see no way that I will not be running slower with basically the same engine with a higher gear ratio.  

Can anyone tell me why I should not be upset?