Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Etec 200hp Emm Problems

I have worked and saved up for years to buy a boat.  I finally decided on a aluminum boat with a ETEC 200.  I heard about the limited maintenance and reliability of the motors.  It ran great from the start, until one day it cut off and would not start again.   It continually would blow fuses.   I taken it to technician and found out that the EMM had gone out on the motor.  I called the company and was not giving any help due to it is out of warranty.  I only have less than 150 hours on the motor and maintain it always.  It just really dissappoints me that the company doesn't stand behind its product and the customer service is so bad.  When someone spends a great deal of money on their product, they expect it to be more relaiable and fix whatever issue that many arise.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: Etec 200hp Emm Problems

What year is the engine? How far out of warranty is it? Did you buy it with no warranty on it?

I don't know if I can help but I have gone to bat for several of my customers in the past with favorable results.

From your post it seems the dealer you were working with was a little lack luster in his performance to help you.

Highlighted
Skipper

The 200ho motor is a 2008.  I believe the warranty is only good for 3 years.

Highlighted
Admiral

Have you talked to the After Sales Dept. about your situation? The factory bends over backwards to help customers and takes each case individually. With your serial number available call 262-884-5993 and tell them your story.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I called the number for the company and didn't seem to get any leverage with my problem.   I even asked if I could get a discount on the EMM and was turned away.  The representative seemed like he was too busy to help me and told me to have my technician call.   I talked to my technician and he said that they pretty much gave him the same run around.  I am pretty frustrated with the whole situation.

Highlighted
Captain

I know what your dealing with my emm went out on my 150,BUT i found a used emm with the same model number and so far it has worked better than the old one.Have around 50 hrs on the used emm running the injector codes that were allready in it.They did say they would keep there fingers crossed for me hope they keep them that way it's working great,400.00 bucks for a used one,by the way i have a blow up 07 115 also looks like i get to fix that on my own 2.It will cost more for the dealer to pull the head off.Just to call and get a no, all the dealer say the same thing there not going to help.So i will build it myself.good luck with yours.Have you called dfi they might fix yours they could not fix mine?

Highlighted
Mate

Sorry I am not trying to be the bad guy here but I am not sure why you are upset with Evinrude if you bought the engine three years out of factory warranty. From a private party or a dealer factory warranty three years gone seems a little much to ask for. If you bought it from a dealer your problem may be with him not Evinrude.

If you bought from a private party I don't see you have any recoarse.

DFI Technologies sometimes has remanufactured units for less than retail. Try,dfitechnologies.com

see if they can get you one.

Highlighted
Admiral

DFI TEchnologies cannot service injectors or EMM's for an E-TEC.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Bluewater,

You are correct about DFI. Must have had my head in the clouds.

BRP is the only authorized supplier of E-TEC EMM's

Highlighted
Mate

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain. I have a 2005 DFI that I purchased from Thayers Marine 5 years ago. It was a nightmare from the start! I will never buy another Evinrude.