Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Etec 225 2012 power trim problem

Hi

I am having trouble with the power trim. I have just launched the boat after 6 months laid up.

Power trim works down no problem. Will only work up if engine is running but not on idle.  Basically it must be revved up.

Batteries are fully charged.  Same problem from remote switch and engine switch.

There is no clicking sound.

Looked through the forum but did not see a similar problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edward 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Etec 225 2012 power trim problem

[ Edited ]

No wonder you could not find a similar problem in your research, I have never heard that type of situation before where the trim would not work at idle, but only when revved up. That is definitely a new one on me.

The UP circuit on your motor has a trim limit switch inline with the trim buttons and before the relay. Unless the UP section of the relay assembly has a loose ground or an internal anomaly, my guess would be either a bad or corroded wiring connector or a faulty trim limit switch. Check all connections from the battery terminals to the switches, the relay assembly, and the trim motor wiring.

I am assuming that the trim up does not work when the motor is not running and the key is OFF.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks for your quick reply.

The trim up does not work when:

The key is off

The key is on

The key is on and the motor is running in idle.

In the second two situations the trim down works. I do not think that the trim down works with the key off. I will check that.

The trip up will work when:

I am moving along normally say at cruising speed

With the motor is in idle but revved up in nuetral.

This same thing happened last season when i launched the boat for the first time of the season but it was fine the next day and till the end of the season so i did not give it much thought. 

This year it does not seem to want to fix itself :-)

I aslo noticed that after my first day of using the boat, after I was out for about half an hour of cruising I tied up at the dock. Turned the motor off. The trim up worked. I stopped before the motor was all the way up. Then I tried going up again and it would not go up!!

Seems i need more power than that provided by the batteries?? Must be a case of a loose connection somehwere then??

I also noticed that the trim indicator on the I command panel reads zero all the time.

I will check the connections as you suggested and let you know.

Thanks

Ed

Highlighted
Admiral

For the trim indicator to read on I-Command you have to have the I-Command engine-to-keyswitch wiring harness plus the dealer has to calibrate the lower and upper trim limits in the EMM using a laptop. 

I believe you are correct about the low voltage going to the trim motor. Somewhere there is a faulty wire or connection that is adding too much resistance to the trim-up circuit.  If you are knowledgeable with a voltmeter and have the engine wiring diagram in the service manual, you can perform voltage drop tests at each junction of the wiring. If not, a dealer should do the troubleshooting for you.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I am in process of buying a checkmate with the 225 etec the trim going up is fussy it will work if i tap the location of where it is on the motor.
Highlighted
Mate

Maybe loose connection or corrosion
Highlighted
Mate

@Scottboston wrote:
I am in process of buying a checkmate with the 225 etec Activate MyPrepaidCenter Card the trim going up is fussy it will work if i tap the location of where it is on the motor.

I believe you are correct about the low voltage going to the trim motor. Somewhere there is a faulty wire or connection that is adding too much resistance to the trim-up circuit.  If you are knowledgeable with a voltmeter and have the engine wiring diagram in the service manual, you can perform voltage drop tests at each junction of the wiring. If not, a dealer should do the troubleshooting for you.
Highlighted
Admiral

@Scottboston wrote:
I am in process of buying a checkmate with the 225 etec the trim going up is fussy it will work if i tap the location of where it is on the motor.

If you have to tap on the trim motor to get it  to work, there could be stuck brushes, some connection loose inside the motor housing or corrosion buildup.

Highlighted
Mate

Ed, did you ever find the problem to this?
I have an 06 ETEC. They won’t trim up. I’ve replaced three relays. Even wired separate relays for up and down. It will work for a while but if the boat sits for a week. It doesn’t work.