Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Etec 25 Low rpm problems Intermittent

Looking for Help please

My 2005 25hp Etec has intermittent low RPM problems- Long story short- New plugs, new fuel pump last year, no leeks in fuel lines, tank connection and ball good, correct oil and gas, cylinder compression is fine  - Boat will slowly get up on plane and runs full speed but has no hole shot power anymore, some days it intermittent will not get up on plain and runs at half speed, ( with one person in the boat it does this less with 2 people it does it more but is still intermittent) if you then open the throttle, rpm's don't increase and motor knocks and misses. One day it dropped from full rpm to low rpm but just once. Last time out could not get more than say 1000 rpm out of it. Motor is now at approved dealer, there are no overheat codes, no safe mode codes registered all updates done, the dealer doesn't know what is wrong. When they water tested it it got op to full RPM, They are asking me to come out and drive it until it acts and not to turn it off until they test it. 

They don't think it is the rpm limiter switch and are not willing to start replacing parts (injectors came up) without some direction. 

Anything would help 

thanks 

Chris  

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Etec 25 Low rpm problems Intermittent

[ Edited ]

You said your motor was a 2005 E-TEC 25hp, which can't be. The 25 E-TEC came out a few years after that date. What is the engine model number?

If the motor is actually an E-TEC did the engine ever have an overheating condition? If so, and it was severe enough, the exhaust tuner megaphone may have melted or deformed which will lower the engine power output. Have your dealer inspect the exhaust tuner per bulletin # No. 2012-03(S)

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Bluewater Bill 

You are correct, I typed in the wrong year, its a 2009 E-TEC. It does show in the readout history that there was an overheat code well before I purchased the motor but for simplicity sake I only referred to the code history since I bought the motor in my post.

Is it a possibility that there was some initial deformation/damage to the exhaust megaphone during this old overheat that has worsened with use? The engine ran very well for me the first 2 years i owned it. The Off again / On again problem realy has them stumped.  I will have the dealer look into the bulletin as you suggest. 

Thanks  Chris  

Highlighted
Skipper

Oh no!  Another competitor for a non-existent part!  Pn#5007896

Highlighted
Captain

Chris, ask your dealer to look at the wires that run under the throttle body. They can get routed in front of the throttle body shaft during service and the throttle return spring can short the wires at a higher throttle.