Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Etec 25hp Nothing but Problems!

[ Edited ]

So I buy a brand new 2015 Edge 553 with an Etec E25GTEL (s/n: 05418147) two years ago from a local boat dealer. It was awesome for first 2 months. Broke prop shaft end off (apparently common) and cost me $700 to replace. Motor was brand new so I elected not to fix it myself thinking that the boat dealer would then say I voided my warranty or something stupid so I just sucked up and paid them to fix it and they replaced the impeller while they had it apart (only 3 months old mind you with less than 20 hrs on it).

About one year ago, motor goes into limp mode (apparently overheated). I don't understand why but it did. It cooled off then fine until the next weekend (last Thanksgiving) when my son took it out and it did it again. It left him stranded and after trying to re-start it (apparently a hundred times) nothing so he had to walk the boat out 2 miles. Once he got it loaded up, oil running out the bottom of motor. This had never happened before NOR hardly even used any oil. I knew something was bad wrong with it at this point. Called the dealer I purchased it from and they said bring it in. When I got there, they referred me to the Tech who walked out to the boat with me and let me explain everything that had happened. Then he tells me that "sorry, we don't sell Evinrude any more". Needless to say, I had choice words for the dude and he referred me to a couple of other Authorized Repair/Warranty places fairly close by.

I took the boat to the better of the two (based on some other referrals) to get it looked at and fixed. They guy here calls me the next day telling me that the motor was screwed- 252 overheat codes, and upteen other malfunctions. He explained that one the motor was hot (and entered limp mode) that when you tried to restart it, that the ecm reset every single time. Makes no sense to me that the **bleep** thing has enough intelligent to know when its hot while running for whatever reason but then forgets when you hit the start button the next time. Btw, the motor at this point, had 32 hrs on it. Only the 2nd duck season for it and now its broke. After arguing for weeks over it, BRP decided that they would replace all the parts under warranty but I would have to pay for the LABOR. I didn't like it but otherwise motor was junk. Originally, they guy said it would probably be at least $1000-1200 labor. He replace the complete power head, oil tank, oil lines (which were all melted to the block), and several other things. Dude is very knowledgeble and took care of us and only charged me $640 labor. SO now, I basically have a complete new motor. This was this past January before I got the boat back (missing 1/2 of duck season of course).

We didn't run the boat until Spring and once we did it ran ok but didn't have the power that it did when new. I figured computer was reset and had to double oil for the first inital few hours since everything had been replaced. Summer time comes and we take the boat fishing. It runs worse and worse everytime. When new, the boat would run between 30-34 mph depending on gear/weight. In July, it would barely run 10mph with 3 of us in it. We bypassed fuel filter thinking it was definitely a fuel problem. No go- same thing.

My son takes the boat back to get fixed on Aug 19th (3 months before duck season here in Ark). I explained the problem and the guy tells me that its probably the fuel pump which is the #1 failure on the 25hp motors. He also said they were out of stock and didn't know when they would have some. He also had 4 other Etec's in their shop at that time for the exact same thing. Several weeks go by and called to check and no pump yet. Then the guy tells me that I have electrical problems like nobody has every seen, including BRP tech support. He says he has to figure this out before we can even move for a fuel pump. The motor wouldn't run long enough to even check the fuel. After another month or so, I go up there and he tells me he fixed the electrical issues and checked the fuel pressure and that the pump was in fact bad and now that would fix it under warranty. The electrical "fix" also was apparently to just remove and reground everything and physically check all connections. SO nothing was replaced to fix this electrical "issue". So we waiting for another approx 3 weeks for the fuel pump. I called on Nov 17th and he said pump would be there that day or the next. I went and picked up the boat on FRI Nov 18th- day before duck season (3 full months it has set in their shop) and he told me that it still had a "hesitation" in it but go ahead and come get it and run it and would try and get with BRP to figure out a solution to fix it. So now it has a brand new fuel pump, new TPS, and fresh plugs in it. Still runs like crap. It ran 14mph with 3 of us in it and my son managed to get a whopping 20.4mph with just him and no gear. The motor sounds like its governed. Wide open it barely moves and engine does not appear to be anywhere near its performance range. Sounds like a fuel problem.

Anyway, this is unacceptable. I bought a brand new boat and motor so that I wouldn't have problems like this. Otherwise I wouldve kept the old Johnson we had. What is my next course of action??? Looking at building a DT25 or some old 2 stroke motor. I just can't believe that this Etec is such junk, especially for what it cost... and I'm still paying for it.

Todd

2015 Edge 553

2015 Etec E25GTELABB (s/n: 05418147)- with less than 45 hrs!

Purchased from H20 Sports in NLR, AR

Admiral

Re: Etec 25hp Nothing but Problems!

It saddens me to hear of your experiences with your Evinrude. That is not a normal occurance or seiries of occurances.

In most cases, troubleshooting a lack of power problem is fairly easy. It could be as simple as a sticking or mis-adjusted neutral switch on the motor, starting the motor with the thProttle even partially open,  or a bad sparkplug wire connection.

Please forward your letter in an email to brp.care@brp.com and include your contact information and dealer name.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Same problem here, bought a brand new etch 30 hp, constantly in limp mode, on my 3rd $350.00 fuel pump.  I literally have problems every year.  Just limped in off the bay last night.

these motors should qualify for a lemon law, they’re complete junk.

mine was purchased from Toms Outboards Olympia Washington.

Ill never own another E-Tech and my Uncles Brother was one of the Engineers that designed it, (Roger Smith).

Very unsatisfactory piece of junk

Richard Smith Olympia Washington

rockstudricky@yahoo.com

Mate

Any advice on how to keep this motor from constantly going to limp mode would be appreciated.

my motor has never used much oil either, is there a way to set this.

I paid over $5000.00 for a new motor so I could fish with no motor problems.  So far I’m on my 3rd fuel pump

@$350.00 a piece, and in constant limp mode.

this motor is a complete lemon, and should be replaced via lemon law.

very unhappy

Admiral

Rick,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. If the motor goes into what you call limp mode (SAFE) then something is not correct with it and should be repaired. A trained tech can find the problem with the diagnostic software which will indicate which system is as fault.

There are some new software updates and other items that may benefit your motor.

Please send an email with the engine serial number, dealer name and location, and a brief history of the engine to http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

The fuel pumps should have been covered under warranty. And the limp (s.a.f.e.) mode would store a trouble code in the EMM to assist a certified to find the problem. Most often the fuel pumps go bad from sitting up with wet gas in them. As a tech at a dealer we suggest running a 200:1 pre mix gas to prevent this.