Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Etec 30 down on power since dealer software update

I have a 2016 etec 30hp (e30drsafb) with 211 hrs on it.  I took it in under warranty to have a leaking crank shft seal replaced.  While it was there they "flashed" the motor with a new software revision and it now is down on power and top speed on the boat went form 24 to 18 mph with same load/ people in it.  The tach reads 5520 at WOT as it did before the work was done.  Is it possible the wrong software was used? I've read the 25 hp and 30 are identical builds and the mapping is what sets them apart.  Could they have used the 25hp mapping?  I have a jet pump on the motor so any reduction in hp at the powerhead is very noticable at the pump.

This was the software before the update:

Map Soft Ver: 3030459

Map Soft Rev: 2013986

This is the Software now:

Map Soft Ver: 3030459

Map Soft Rev: 2026432

Captain

Re: Etec 30 down on power since dealer software update

The calibration data between the previous revision and the new one loaded is unchanged.  Therefore, there would be no difference in engine horsepower due to the firmware update.  The 25 HP version of that engine family uses a different software P/N (3030458).

As you state that the engine is turning the same RPM as prior to the update, I doubt that engine horsepower has changed.  If one assumes the loading of the jet pump is the same as before, the horsepower being applied to the pump is identical as the engine RPM is identical.

Skipper

Thanks for the reply,

The Map soft Rev has changed from 2013986 to 2026432. 

Not sure what these revisions are responsible for.  Could they have changed the fuel mapping any?  There is definetly a change in the power output at top end for sure and it doesnt get up on plane as fast as before either.  I'm seeing a 20% reduction in top speed with no difference in weight.   

Admiral

Being a jet drive, it is possible to have the gate adjustment incorrect or a nick in the impeller or wear ring affecting the speed of the boat. Because the top rpm is the same, the motor is putting out its power. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the reply,

I have had problems with this dealer in the past so to get a baseline before taking it in for service the day before I:

ran the boat on a familiar strech of water and recorded speed rpm and and overall performance.

When I got the boat back  I tested it next day on the same piece of water  in same conditons and recorded all same performance indicators: rpm and top speed at WOT and general performance across the range.

I had just serviced the jet pump the week prior to my first test but per your suggestion of the probable problem, I tore it apart again and inspected it and nothing had changed since it was apart the week before.(no obstructions, wear ring and impeller tollerances the same, no changes in the edge, no problems with reverse shoe, etc.)

So you can see there were only two changes made:

Replacement of crank seal due to oil leak

Software update 2026432

Can anyone speak to what this update does?   I assume fuel mapping for emmissons improvement and engine longevity at least until the warranty is up at the expense of power;  but no one wants to admit it. 

20% power reduction is inexcusable and not what I paid for.

Admiral

Here is what is new in the software change. It is possible that the dealer did not recheck the timing offset after installing the latest software. Keep in mind that manyu other things can affect power output and would have to be verified. It is a process of elimination.

If the engine had an overheating condition, it is possible that the exhaust tuner has been deformed and that could cause a loss of top speed.

These software revisions update the following:

Fuel pump control strategy to improve durability of fuel pump.

Improve engine overheat shutdown logic.

Increase air temperature above range limit from 153°F to 168°F

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

The "fuel pump control strategy" does not affect fuel pressure or volume so it would not change engine performance.
I agree with Bill as the service manual states that timing should be checked anytime the flywheel is removed. Your dealer should also check throttle linkage adjustment and throttle position sensor voltages. You can visually check that there is only a small gap between the throttle roller and the throttle lever at zero throttle.
Skipper

I've been trying to find the item you call the "exhaust tuner" with no luck.  Is this a gasket on the inner cover to the block or the cover itself?  The megaphone perhaps?  

I assume it is responsible for a controlled amount of backpressure.

Thanks

Admiral

The megaphone.

It may become deformed or warped in a severe overheated condition and the motor is then down on power.without its tuned exhaust pipe.