Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Etec 30 hp power

I have built race boats and made racing propellers for over 50 years. Our most popular class is 30 hp on a V hull,  Everybody uses Tohatsu 30 hp (merc 30 EFI) but we have looked at the 30 Etec and it looks superior on paper. 

Our engine was bought new this year as 25 electric tiller and BRP importer has upgraded the EMM to 30 hp because they did not have an short 30 electric.Our engine has run about 3 hours  and highest temp on engine is 81,9 C degree.  We have problems with dead engine starts because of limitidations in EMM but main problem is that we are about 5% slower than the Tohatsu guys. I have made 5 different cleaver props but it seems like we need 10% more power to be competitive.

A friend tried an ETEC  a few years back and dyno tested it and they got 33.4 hp same as the Tohatsu gives.

We have yested another EMM from another 30 hp with same results.  Max rpm on limiter has been 6282 rpm-

Are there anyone that has experience with this and can help us making this engine a winner?

Admiral

Re: Etec 30 hp power

You can order an electric start 30 hp long shaft in either white or graphite color -E30DPSL, E30DPGL

I would be concerned that the upgrade may not have produced the same power as a factory built 30 hp motor. Only a dyno test would show the output

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

We need short shaft and we have tested another EMM from an 30 hp with same results. A customer tested an 30 Etec a couple of years back and did 6 km faster than we do and I have bought back his prop. Our customer gave up because of starting procedure and the fact that he burned up the exhaust megaphone.  The question I ask myself is if there have been an update to the EMM with less power lately ? I guess I will have to run the engine on one of our 2 dynos.

Mate

We do have a second boat with a 30 hp Tohatsu .Gear ratio on Tohatsu is 2,17 and 2,15 on Etec . The Tohatsu run an 11x21x3 prop at 6300 rpm  but the Etec does only 5700 rpm with same dimension on prop and lacks 6 km/h speed

Captain

In the US to get a short shaft 30 we have to put an electric start kit on a rope start model.
The only way to change a 25 to a 30 would be to load a program from a 30hp on it. This would include the model number and serial number of the doner 30. A copy of the engine report should indicate if the dealer did change it to a 30.
What was the starting issues on the Etec that is different from the Tohatsu?
Mate

We did try another EMM from an 30 hp and it did not give us any more power/speed.  We are using a dead engine start in this type of racing and the Tohatsu you can start direct in gear with no delay. The Etec has a switch at the gear that will send a signal to the EMM and when started you can put the engine in gear. We have moved that switch to the steering wheel so we can start in gear and when started we switch it off but starting is sensitive.

Captain

I can't recall the details but remember diagnosing a tiller model that was converted to remote controls but engine was still set "as tiller".
Seems all the racing here in the US is big V-6 engines. Wish we had more small engine racing so more people could afford it.
Mate

This engine is an electric tiller converted to remote. We have set the engine as remote.

Mate

I have tried to get in contact with anyone from the factory to get help with this performance problem but the operator will not put me through since I do not know the name of a person that can help. They just ask me to go to a dealer, I have tried that and they cannot help. If anyone has a name or email to a person at the factory please forward the contact info to me.

olle@winrace.no

Admiral

No company has a direct line to a factory tech that is available to the public. Dealers have that support when needed. Your operator's guide does have the contact info for Evinrude After Sales Support.

What you are asking is to bypass the start in gear safety feature that is required by law in the US and possibly some other countries. As an Evinrude website we cannot advise or condone the removal or bypassing of a mandatory safety feature.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.