Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Etec 30HP Drops to Idle Speed intermittantly

I have a 30 HP Evinrude Etec, Electric Start and Manual Start, Power Tilt/Trim, Tiller.

Only 40 Hours on this Engine. I have had it to the Dealership at least 5 times, for the same problem, but they always find a different "solution", none of which solves the fault.

It is mounted on an 18' Sea Serpent Open Fiberglass Boat, built around 1995. While going full Speed, the Engine sometimes drops to Idle Speed. Sometimes this happens after 2 minutes, sometimes after 10, 20, 30, 60 ....etc., no consistancy. All I have to do is put the throttle to Idle and back to full speed, and she continues on at full speed for another few minutes, and it happens again. And keeps repeating.

First time, they said it was a water problem, and replaced the Impellor and Thermostat. Next it was a clogged Vent line in the Fuel Pump, Next it was the Battery. Yes, Battery. Next it was the actual Mounting position was incorrect, but they mounted it originally when I purchased the Motor New. Now they decide it needs to be lifted 3/4" to the nexct hole.....Well, that just caused Cavitation, and diodnt solve the problem either.

She is back at the Dealership again now. I suggested the Microprocessor (computer) needs to be replaced, but they don't agree. I want a replacement Motor, but they don't agree. Now I am onto Evinrude themselves trying to get help..

Anyone have any ideas?
Highlighted
Captain

Re: Etec 30HP Drops to Idle Speed intermittantly

The EMM going through a reset is the first thing that comes to mind as the cause.  If this occurs with the throttle open, it must be returned to idle state before higher speed operation may resume.

The reset condition can be verified through the use of EvDiag program.  There is a parameter called power on time.  If this resets to zero without the operator actually shutting down the engine, you can be sure it has reset.

As to why the EMM is resetting - it is most likely due to an RF source disturbing the EMM operation.  A replacement EMM would likely result in the same condition.  The source of the RF needs to be determined and the cause resolved.  Likely candidates are spark plugs, high tension leads, or ignition coils.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Mate

Thanks very much. I have passed that along to the Service Manager. This Motor is a 2017 Model by the way.

They did a full Diagnostics on her, a few times, and never mentioned that parameter as being problematic. They are now telling me that the Motor is not big enough for the boat.....Sure, she is not that fast (23 MPH when alone) but that is fast enough for me, as the water is often too rough to use at full speed anyways, but even a 9.9HP would push the boat at its maximum for that size, without cutting out to Idle Speed. 

I don't see what the Motor size in relation to Boat, has to do with this problem.

Then they mention the Shape of the boat stern....Seems to be grasping at straws now...

So do you suggest replacing Spark Plugs, WIres, Coils, etc., to try and solve the problem? Or is there a method that the Service Center can use to see RF Interference, like with an Oscilloscope or something? 

Or maybe reroute Wires, or further insulate them?

Highlighted
Admiral

What is the complete model number of your motor?  The outboard industry no longer goes by year for engine identification, only model number.

Thank you

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

A problem with the power on time paramater would only be visible with a laptop and diagnostic program connected to a running engine while the problem occurred.
As an Evinrude tech I would check the park plug ground leads and spark plug gap.
If your boat tends to pull the stern down and cause the engine to run deep in the water at full speed I suggest asking your dealer about the available lower cowl seal kit to keep water from getting up to the power head area.
Highlighted
Mate

Model # E30DTSLAF

S/N 05498887

Highlighted
Skipper

I have a 30 hp etec with 31 hours on it with the same problem. Yesterday 3 times during 2.5 hrs of operation at plane speed, power reduced to uncommanded idle. When stopped and throttle reduced to idle and then returned to advance, normal power was available. I have just started looking at this problem so any tips or resolution would be greatly appreciated.
Highlighted
Captain

It sounds like an overheat. You need to removed the motor cover when this happens and see what the LED lights on the engine mounted computer are telling you.
Highlighted
Skipper

That is really hard if not impossible on a Craig Cat.
The above motor model- E30DPSLAF
Serial # 05537250
Highlighted
Captain

From some experience with EMM resets, change the top spark plug. It may not look bad but could be the cause.