Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Etec 30hp/ tiller handle Little white plastic plugs

Hello. Wondering if someone could help me out
I have a etec 30hp and have lost 2 little white plugs that were located on the base pivot assembly. I cant seem to.find them on the exploded parts diagram
They are small approx 1/8 to 3/16s in diamter and appear to plug grease from comming out of the base pivot that the tiller arm connects to. I have a photo from the manual.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: Etec 30hp/ tiller handle Little white plastic plugs

I guess i need to figure out what the part number is so i can get a couple more. Thanks in advance
Highlighted
Captain

Hey, I'm an ETEC tech at a dealer. I'll look for a part number in the morning when I get to work.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you sir. Appreciate the reply
Highlighted
Captain

At the front of the base pivot assembly there are two holes that should have grease fittings in them.
Perhaps if you could reference which service manual (part number) and page the picture is on I could check further.
Highlighted
Skipper

Yes correct. Those grease fittings are there and in place. These little plugs are under the fittings on the bottom.side.
Page 232
Photo 007551.
This photo shows them.
The manual I have is the 2011 15 25 30 manual.
When i apply grease to the fittings these little plugs pop out hence me loosing them.
Thanks!
I have a screenshot but not able to upload the photo here.
Highlighted
Skipper

Possibly they were only there for shipping and are suppose to be removed. Im not sure as i can not see them in the parts diagram.
Highlighted
Admiral

@EtecRH wrote:
Yes correct. Those grease fittings are there and in place. These little plugs are under the fittings on the bottom.side.

The manual I have is the 2011 15 25 30 manual.
When i apply grease to the fittings these little plugs pop out hence me loosing them.
Thanks!
I have a screenshot but not able to upload the photo here.

Go to the upper right of this page and click on HELP, then select 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

One photo uploaded in my profile Thanks for the assist

Highlighted
Captain

I work on a lot of these engines and never noticed that. It appears to be a round nylon ball firmly pressed in place. Looks like it is to seal the grease passage after the machining process. Our new engines on the display rack have them in them. Likely it is sold as part of the assembly and not a seperate part.
It would be safe to tap the hole and plug it.