Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Etec 90hp 2008 crank but want start

Hi guys,

please help.

im second owner of

Evinrude E-tec 90hp 2008

Im reading e-nation forum for a while now its very useful, but i cant find solution for my problem and i want to hear your opinion.

So, let me describe the problem

It all started this winter, and about 2-3 months ago engine need a lots of cranking to start.

After first start, and when shuts of, it starts almost on first crank, i thought ok reason must be cold weather. (about 30-35F)

After few days came back to boat, engine cranks but refuses to start. Battery depleted completely. 

Buy new battery, again same thing, cranks good and fast but no luck.

Next day came back with starter spray and charged battery, cranks good, but no luck. Add start spray and engine fired up with lots of cranking and spraying.

After that works fine i even went for fishing and it was fine.

What i tried after return from fishing,  is to unplug fuel pump while engine was idling, and it continue to idle. so i was little bit confused, how engine is running with unplugged fuel pump??? (i could not hear FP while engine is idling) I guess when engine starts it does not need fuel pump any more.
I shut down engine and connect unpluged fuel pump directly to battery, and i hear its working (while engin , and i checked on press walve and it sprayed fuel about 5ft away. I didnt check fuel pressure with gauge, but as i read here on forum it sholud be 30-40psi?

I think i will have to check fuel pressure.

Few days after that, tried to start engine, cranking and craniking but no luck.

Tried with start spray and it fired up after lots of spraying and cranking.

I shut down engine and try to start it up without start spray, and it fired up like never had problem.

BUT, 15 minutes later it didnt even want to start with start spray, actually it sems like it will start, and it cuts cranking off but it does not fire up.

Again battery depleated, but no luck.

Battery is new,so it is not battery

it cranks good, so its not starter or start solenoid.
Igniton coils? Hm, obviously i have spark when engine idle few minutes back.

Fuel probblems? i change prime bulb and hoses.
I have fuel/water separator and no water in it, im using premium 100 octane fuel ne ethanol, i even add fuel stabiliser before winter.

i dont know what to check, please advise.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Etec 90hp 2008 crank but want start

Please do not use a "starter spray" to get your engine going. It is dangerous and could cause the motor to "run away" and go into code 57 - an automatic shutdown that has to be cleared by a dealer.

On a motor that will not start easily, there is a troubleshooting sequence that is outlined in the factory service manual. Throwing new parts at a problem is a very expensive and inefficient way to repair your motor. You can also visit your local Evinrude dealer for professional assistance.

The most common causes of hard starting are fuel problems, slow cranking of the starter, and worn or not indexed spark plugs.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

thanks for reply

"The most common causes of hard starting are fuel problems, slow cranking of the starter, and worn or not indexed spark plugs."

ok, lets check this,

i check everything except fuel pressure, and fuel injectors, but again, when engine works, it works like new.

since i check almost everything, i dont have any ideas what to check next except fuel pressure.

starter is cranking good and fast.

crank position sensor seems to work, because during cranking i can see it on rpm gauge

i didnt mention, spark plugs are champion QC10WEP, and  6 months old with less than 10 working hours. (maybe wven less than 5) properly indexed.

i did call local evirude dealer, which told me it have to be VST pump.

ok its not problem in 650us$ for VST, but what if it is not VST?

well we will check next, and next and next.
ok, i dont have trailer for my 17ft fisher and i dont have car to tow it to dealer, so i have to pay towing, and towing + vst + labour = almost half price of new etec Smiley Very Happy ok im joking, but, if it is something else but VST... it will came up almost as half new etec, that is why im attempting to repairt this by myslef.
i have expirience with EFI (4 stroke car) engines, but this one is driving me crazy.

thanks BluewaterBill

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

To post feedback

evinrude dealer did a quich check.
new software installed
new spark plugs, old ones looked flooded
compression checked, ok on all 3 cyls
crank...
and no luck,  and of course, with my comment to mechanic, did i told you?

but,  then they saw on diagnostic software, hey, neutral safety switch is blinking while cranking?!?

All plastic removed, removed safety switch, new one installed,  crank... and it fires up like never had problem.
try it 10 times in row, left id to work 5 minutes in reverse. turn it off, try for cool off for 10 minuutes, it fires up.
I guess thats it. I will try on cold and let you know but i think that was the problem

https://d3inagkmqs1m6q.cloudfront.net/2479/media-photos/586780-0586780-0350611neutral-safety-switch-...

Highlighted
Admiral

Glad you found the  problem.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

[ Edited ]

@josey wrote:

thanks for reply

"The most common causes of hard starting are fuel problems, slow cranking of the starter, and worn or not indexed spark plugs."

ok, lets check this,

i check everything except fuel pressure, and fuel injectors, but again, when engine works, it works like new.

since i check almost everything, i dont have any ideas what to check next except fuel pressure.

starter is cranking good and fast.

crank position sensor seems to work, because during cranking i can see it on rpm gauge

i didnt mention, spark plugs are champion QC10WEP, and  6 months old with less than 10 working hours. (maybe wven less than 5) properly indexed.

i did call local evirude dealer, which told me it have to be VST pump.

ok its not problem in 650us$ for VST, but what if it is not VST?

well we will check next, and next and next.
ok, i dont have trailer for my 17ft fisher and i dont have car to tow it to dealer, so i have to pay towing, and towing + vst + labour = almost half price of new etec Smiley Very Happy ok im joking, but, if it is something else but VST... it will came up almost as half new etec, that is why im attempting to repairt this by myslef.
i have expirience with EFI MCDVOICE (4 stroke car) engines, but this one is driving me crazy.

thanks BluewaterBill

Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, thank you very much.

Highlighted
Captain

what doubts do you have?

i found new problem Smiley Very Happy

went to boat, cranking, it want start - OMG AGAIN? you must be joking,,,, priming engine, cranking, again 0 points.

battery almost delpleated, try to prime it again, and suddenly, priming bulb stays soft. soft?

priming priming priming, but its soft, taking off engine cover, priming... i hear some strange sound, checking source of sound, and what i see? a cracked fuel line.

Fuel line become so soft and thin that it blow when i primed it.
Ok, take off VST tank, fuel pump, changed fuel line (lucky me i hade piece of fuel line on boat so i manage somehow)

change it and on almost empty battery on first crank (poor cranking) engine fire up.

I have to say i saw rubber "dust" in fuel pump, so i clean it, but i think that complete fuel sistem is full of rubber dirt from rubber hose which basically fall apart. There is rubber dirt in VST tank 100%, beacause fuel line after fuel filter to VST tank fall apart.

Ok  take it to open sea 10 minutes, and it works  but on about 2000 rpm engine is not running smooth, after 2000 works fine, full throttle works fine, but cant give more than 4900 rpm which is strange for me, before this probblems it get up to 5200.

Today i went back to boat, no way it will start. So i start it with start spray, just to confirm i have spark, it starts right on first crank, which confirmed my doubt, i have serious fuel problem.

I have to take VST down, clean it, change all fuel hoses, (external water separator is ok no water in it) and clean injectors, and then give it a try.

I think this time is to much dirt in fuel system.

Im using 100 octane premium fuel with fuel stabiliser. So i think its not fuel problem Smiley Happy

will leave feedbach here when i clean fuel system.

check pics attached

fuel line from filter to VST

https://imgur.com/a/j84ttn3

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

update,

only few hours after my last post, i decided to went to boat and take of injectors and VST.

everything is very clean, only little bit of rubber and thats it. It is in much better condition than i expected.
But that is bead news, i have to continue searching for problem.

check pics, this looks very very good for 900hours

https://imgur.com/a/H0BRCH4

i washed up everything with brake cleaner which is basically ethanol in spray tank.

i dont know what is it but i will update you.

Highlighted
Captain

update

fuel pump tested on bench

only 1.55 bar (about 22psi)

and it is not problem in pump, its problem in fuel pressure regulator, which is in VST tank.

so add harder spring or add FPR from car or buy new VST?

https://imgur.com/a/QHcvW3o

when i close return pipe for a moment  it gives more than 5 bar pressure 80psi +

Highlighted
Captain

i just read service manual for etec 60-90hp (400 pages)

and fuel pressure should be in range of 20-30psi, and mine is 22, so that should be fine, and engine should start.
service software is activating injectors, fuel pump and coils so EMM is fine and engine should start.

fuel pressure is fine, and engine should start.

and it does not Smiley Happy

but once it starts, you can shut it off and start for houndred times no problem. So injectors and coils should not be problem.

this is most ridiculous thing so far happent to me regarding engines. There is compression, there is spark, there is fuel, but it refuses to start up.

what else to try? except to throw engine and get new one Smiley Happy