Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Etec G2 Binnacle Question

I have a hypothetical question: if I am offshore and I experience a power failure for the binnacle (throttles) of my ETEC G2 motors, what should I do? Or any binnacle failure for that matter? Are there some actions I can take to try and restore operation, or am I pretty much dead in the water at that point? I am trying to become more aware of how these controls work and what backup alternatives I have during failure, if any.

Captain

Re: Etec G2 Binnacle Question

No answer?

Highlighted
Captain

The answer to your question is too complicated to be concise.  Depending upon the particular failure(s), there are differing courses of action to deal with the fault(s).

For example, if the starboard lever sensor were to fail, the starboard engine woud remain at idle neutral condition.  This may be circumvented by engaging the engine sync function.  Now both engines will be under control of the port lever and operational control of the starboard engine is possible.  If the port lever sensor has failed, the same action may be taken but in this case, the starboard lever will be controlling both engines.

If there is a fault indicating a failure of the Public network, the Private network will continue to provide full operational control between the engines and control head.  A Private network failure will result in the control head relying on the Public network to maintain communiction between the control head and engines.

Captain

Hello ElderSparky
I have been in the boating scene all my life but I have always had the old 2 stroke smokers. Only just recently repowered with a G2 and I am trying to learn as much as I can about them. New to NMEA etc.
What is public and private network?
Captain

Basically networks send commands (data) over a wire to another device. This can be compared to sending Morse code. The private network carries engine control commands between the binacle and the engine. For example when you turn the key to start it gives the binacle module a start signal, the binacle sends a code number electrically to the engine EMM asking it to start the engine. If you push a trim button the binacle "talks over the private network to the EMM requesting it to power the trim circuit. This gives the ability for many switches, buttons, levers to control the engine over only two wires. The private network talks in Evinrude language (example French)
The public network talks in a NMEA standardized language (example English) so that many different brands of devices can communicate. This is primarily used for instruments and gauges. The G2 is designed so if the private, engine control, network fails the engine can be controlled over the public network.
A recent development in the boating industry is digital switching where a dash switch panel could be connected to the NEMA network and a control module installed at the stern. This module could "read" signals from the network and control all bilge, livewell, washdown pumps on the boat. This eliminates the need for 40 wire harnesses running through the boat.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

That is a great explanation, Rick !

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Yes I must say U explained it to me so I can understand it well. Much appreciate it. Cheers!