Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Etec Main Fuse Blowing

I have an etec 2009 115 (334 hours) used the boat approx 5 days ago motor ran fine, only issue was that trim tilt on the control was functioning intermitently on the down portion. it would essentially hit a stopping point and wouldnt go further down. Trim/tilt on motor worked fine luckily so used that to get motor down and to get home ( i know there is a manual way of lowering as well, But screw head is partially blocked /feel like that is poor design)

Washed and put back in the garage, go to pull it out yesterday. Key does nothing. Checked throttle positon, kill switch ect. power is fine all other switchs on the boat are fine, gps ect all working. Check all fuses. bilge fuse is blown. replaced. blows again. replaced again and fine.

Key switch still not functioning or i command still not working ect.. Check the fuse on the motor its blown, replace it and turn on the battery switch to give power back and the battery immediatly starts to smoke. Stopped there for fear of something serious happening. Called dealer - 3 week wait to even look at it.

I had my trim/tilt replaced under warantee awhile ago and the ETEC dealer did not properly zip tie the wires under my cowling and the trim tilt remote wire beagn to chaff against the fly wheel. Etec dealer said not his fault that his shop does not do sloppy work ect ( I have not done any work on the motor myself always by the same dealer) .. I said well I need it replaced (on my $, bc im sick of dealing with this motor and just want it right), his response was can simply splice it and attach the wires under the cowling correctly will not be a problem. Found this bc I had another issue with boat not getting on plane ($$$)

Now I have a feeling that the splice is causeing a short circuit and in turn blowing the main fuse on the motor, is this a common problem I believe this bc of the intermitent functioning of the switch on my control ? I need help with this i have read this several different places. I have no problem replacing swtich and or by passing to see if this is an issue and ordering a new wiring harness for trim tilt control to replace "bandaid" spliced one that dealer thought was a good idea. Hoping it simply a short circuit and my EMM is not fried bc I am out of warantee now and would not be happy if it was caused by a sloppy job on the dealers behalf.

I have been through 2 fuel pumps on this motor already a trim tilt and countless other problems last $2000 was out of warantee and out of pocket sick of spending money on this motor, and it spending more time in the shop than on the water.

I know this is my first post and its simply not a bash or anything other than the fact that I am a frustrated owner with yet again another issue and no dealer close i feel i can trust.

Admiral

Re: Etec Main Fuse Blowing

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your motor.

Blowing fuses and having smoke come off the battery point to a direct short somewhere, combined with the jury rigged spliced wires near the flywheel concerns me.

It may be to your advantage to find another dealer to troubleshoot and correctly repair your problem. Finding a short may take some sluething and it sounds like you have lost faith in your present dealer. The initial intermittent down trim sounds like a faulty switch or connection since everything worked well using the throttle switch.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks got it sorted out, faulty factory key switch (which was burning inside) and wiring harness causing the short, had to drive an extra hour to get to another certified tech.. Next big repair and this motor will be coming off my boat and going back to blue or black... that upset with how it has been going. Techs at the new shop were great though will be going to them regardless going forward.

Sorry to say when Im asked about this motor and how I like it, my response will remain that I would never buy another I cant have a motor that is 50/50 during tournament season.

Mate

I have a 2015 etech 150 h.o. the main fuse keeps blowing. Sounds like more than just me that’s had this problem. Any advice?
Admiral

There are a number of reasons that makes a fuse blow.

Lokk at the dates of the previous posts. They are 4 years old,

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I have a 2007 115 with a very unusual main fuse blowing problem that happened the exact same manner on the last 3 fishing trips. The engine starts and trims upon launching with the tach working. After letting it run while my buddy parks the vehicle, the fuse blows upon acceleration. The motor will not plane and will run slow with the trim & tach not functioning. If I turn the key off, it will not restart. HOWEVER, when the fuse is replaced, the motor runs perfectly all day. This has happened on the last 3 trips- the same senerio. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Admiral

That is a strange one plus intermittent electrical problems sometimes are difficult to find unless you are testing the right place at the right time.

Blowing a fuse on acceleration is often a trim wire inside the control box shorting against metal as it the  throttle is moved. Sometimes there is a part of the wiring harness either in the boat or on the engine that chafes and rubs through to cause a short.

In most cases, if a visual inspection does not reveal the problem, the technical and highly skilled procedure known in the industry as the "wiggle test" is performed.

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem, took the cowling off and the wiring harnass was worn out and was rubbing up against the engine block causing it to short out.