Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Etech 250 hot light and safe mode

I have an 06 etech 250. I put it in water in early June, probably have put 30 hours since I bought it(new to me). I had water pump replaced before putting it in water.

I recently opened up 3000/4000 and after about 3-4 minutes I got the hot alarm and engine went into safe mode. 1200 rpm whatever it goes too. Immediately checked stream was same as always and the water was not hot. Repeated a few times anything over 2000 rpm same thing. The HOT light goes off after about a minute. Still no check engine light. I do have a low oil light but oil is full and this was pre exsisting.

So far I've changed both thermostats and changed the poppet valve. Checked the hoses.

Still overheating. The block feels hot to the touch. The EEM is hot. Granted unsure what hot is. Doesn't have a temp guage.

Any ideas on what is next step to check?

Boat is on a mooring and not the easiest to pull so trying to do as much as I can before I do that.

I can run it forever at below 2000 rpm. I've tried different trims and tilts.
Skipper

Re: Etech 250 hot light and safe mode

Welcome to my world. I've been plagued by this crap since I've had my 07 150 E-Tec. Mine's not hot on the block but the EMM is getting warm and my tell-tale is hotter than it should be.

I've heard of issue with the factory bypass valve not working properly, might want to check there.

I still have not resolved my issue and there's little to no support here in Hawaii. Last E-Tec I'll ever own.
Admiral

@Mgaul1 wrote:
Welcome to my world. I've been plagued by this crap since I've had my 07 150 E-Tec. Mine's not hot on the block but the EMM is getting warm and my tell-tale is hotter than it should be.

I've heard of issue with the factory bypass valve not working properly, might want to check there.

I still have not resolved my issue and there's little to no support here in Hawaii. Last E-Tec I'll ever own.

You have posted multiple questions on this site relating to overheating issues and mentioning several different engines  - 225, 250 and 150 HP.

What is the model number of the motor in question for now? There are different cooling systems for the various motors and we need to know exactly which outboard model number to answer this question accurately.

thank you

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I've only had and mentioned one motor, my 2007 150.

Mod: E150DPXSUF
Ser: 05158215
05/2006

Don't want to steal this thread

Admiral

@Mgaul1 wrote:

Don't want to steal this thread

It might be best if you start a new thread to avoid confusion and not hijack this one.

I will then answer your questions the best that I can. Is that agreeable to you?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

First thing I'd do is perform a pressure check and compare it to the water pressure specs listed in the factory service manual.  After you find out what your pressure readings are, you can make the next jump based on what's actually happening.  Until you correctly verify what's actually overheating, you are guessing.  Water pressure specs will point you in the right direction.  

Captain

"I still have not resolved my issue and there's little to no support here in Hawaii."

There is an excellent dealer on Maui.  Have you thought bringing them to your location?  Overheating problems are almost always easily discovered with a basic pressure gauge and a clear hose to look for aeration of cooling water.