Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Re: Evinrude 135 HO

I have a 135 HO on a 18 ft Kenner with a tunnel I have about 4 hours on it and I'm only turning 5100 rpm at wot.I have a viper 14 3/4 -19 with a lot of hole shot,all most to much,any suggestion? Thanks
Highlighted
Admiral

You want your rpm to reach about 5600-5800 rpm for optimum results. Raising the motor on the transom one or two holes can gain a few hundred rpm and a  16" or 17" Viper will help get the revs up.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

It seems that the motor is lower then the old 115 that came off.I put a straight edge in the tunnel and with the motor trimmed all the way up Im about an inch above the water pick up.I have not went to the back to see how low the motor is in the water at WOT.The old motor was a 2000 115 johnson and I would get about 43 mph, now im getting about 46.I do not need any more hole shot so if i go with a 17 pitch prop would my mph drop along with my fuel usage?Thank you

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

An older V4  115hp has a smaller gearcase and propeller diameter so you will need some trial and error to set up your new V6 to run efficiently with its larger gearcase and bigger props. That includes transom mounting height in addition to propeller type and pitch.

Start with raising the motor to see if that helps. If the anti-ventilation plate is not visible at speed, then raise the motor 2 holes.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I have  a 20" powertech rk3 prop on my H18 xpress with the 135 etec HO and I am struggling to reach 5100 RPM's.  I put on a 19" vipir and got 5400.  I am getting frustrated with the setup only getting 53 mph.  I am 3" prop below pad.  I get some porposing and chine walking with current setup.  Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Admiral

You may have to experiment with different props - Raker series are faster than Vipers in many situations - and play with various transom heights.

sometimes you may find by tightening the tilt tube nut - stb. side - that chinewalking is reduced. Repositioning gear in the boat may help with porpoising as can different props and motor heights. Most high performance propellers have bow lifting characteristics built in and that may accentuate porpoising depending on hull design and weight distribution.

Setting up a rig for maximum performance takes trial and error until the best combination is found.

Highlighted
Mate

In March 2017, I purchased a Larson FX1750 with a 135hp HO Etec and I really like it. I use Star Tron in my gas to keep the engine cleaned. Is there any thing else I should use and or any other recommendations for the long haul as I intend to keep this boat/engine for a long time.
Tom O
Highlighted
Admiral

StarTron has been around a long while and has a following. Evinrude in service literature recommends their own brand of fuel conditioner called  2+4.

Highlighted
Captain

I purchased my 135 HO in 2014 and I can say it was and has been the best money I have ever spent on a motor. My boat is a 21 ft. bay boat bought it new and it came with a 150 EFI Mercury. I fish salt water inshore only and the people I have had on my boat I always ask if every one is ready before throtle up because of it's quick response. This motor is unreal compared to other. I just run it the other day WOT which I do not do very often but it topped out at 5600 rpm, 41/44 mph, and water pressure gage was 25/27 psi. I can not say how happy pleased I am with this motor. My gas/oil consumption compared to the Merc is 1/2.