Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

Evinrude 225 FICHT 1999 - No Oil Console Alarm that Appears to be False Warning

[ Edited ]

After starting up my Evinrude 225 FICHT 1999 (Model E225FPXEES) I get a console horn alarm and a NO OIL LED. I had this problem about 6-8 months ago and had the oil pressure sensor on the Lift Pump Assembly replaced new due to noticeable corrosion on the signal wire connection.

I ran Evinrude Diagnostics and there are NO Faults recorded. I visually inspected everything and I have a small amount of oil leaking at the Oil Injector to Oil Distribution Flange - metal to metal contact - no gaskets. I tried tightening but can't get it to completely stop. Also, the electrical plug into the Oil Injector has some blue XD50 oil on it as well as down in the socket. I cleaned it up and it comes back. It's not terribly bad but it does appear to be an active very small leak. It runs the static diagnostics fine - audible oil injector clicks so I know the oil injector is engaging.

I pulled the oil system return line to the boat's oil reservoir and can see oil circulation while its running. Not a powerful oil stream (a few PSI) but definitely circulating oil. I pulled out the oil reservoir completely, drained and inspected. It's pretty clean, no water, no heavy crud and riser tube and float flat nylon filter is pristine clean.

I tried to hand pump the oil primer bulb (hard as a rock) while its running a number of times and it did not help clear the LED. Working to a theory that maybe there's an air bubble interrupting the sensor I crimped hard on the return line with needle-nose pliers while running for 20-30 seconds 2 times and it did not clear anything. I manually advanced the throttle to about 1200 RPM (out of gear) to see if I could get higher pump pressure (higher vacuum and more crank pulses for the lift pump) to clear the alarm and that did not clear it either.

I didn't dare to take it off the dock to run it up to speed to see if it would clear under higher RPM and was not sure if in SLOW mode or not since I never tried. But with no error codes being thrown by the ECU it doesn’t act like a software detected failure.

All main oil hoses are new and have good connections. The 6 small oil tubes coming off the oil distribution manifold are the original tubes but there was no evidence of oil linking around any of them (took it apart and looked at it all closely).

Anyone know if there's a separate hard-wired alarm system to the console instrumentations independent of the ECU fault detection or bad instruments that could set off this NO OIL alarm.

Anyone have any ideas?

Right now about the only thing I see doing is replacing the lift pump in case its out of spec since its 14 years old. But was shocked to see that they are about $300.

Admiral

Re: Evinrude 225 FICHT 1999 - No Oil Console Alarm that Appears to be False Warning

You have to determine if there is a lack of sufficient oil pressure or if you are getting a false alarm. If the enigne will not rev above 2500 rpm, then the ECU is correctly limiting the rpm due to an error code. A NO OIL light can also be due to an electrical malfunction in the oil injector.

Per the service manual, test the oil pressure ahead of the pressure regulator at all speeds, the pressure regulator, and the sender for proper activation. Do not rule out a faulty SystemCheck gauge.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Re: Evinrude 225 FICHT 1999 - No Oil Console Alarm that Appears to be False Warning

[ Edited ]

I don't see how the gauge could initiate its own false alarm. Is there another signal source other than the ECU?

As I mentioned, the ECU is NOT throwing fault codes. What is driving that signal if not the ECU?

If the ECU was limiting the RPM to SLOW mode it would have to throw a code. No codes are in evidence.

I don't have any way to measure oil pressure without splicing in some new fittings in the oil return.

Captain

Reassembled the oil system after cleaning out the reservoir and inspecting all the components visually.
Hand primed the lines with hand bulb. Started up and confirmed visually that oil is circulating. Alarm sounded against after 70 secs. Pinched return oil line for 20-30 secs to force out air bubbles – multiple times. Reconfirmed oil circulation. Seemed like a false alarm so I took it out to determine if it was really an ECU fault or a console wiring error by attempting to take it up to speed over 2500 RPM. Engine refused to go over 2500 RPM so I confirmed it was in SAFE mode – ECU detected fault confirmed.

Took it back to the dock at idle and hooked up laptop diagnostics (hard as hell to see screen in sunlight). Shut down and restarted and connected diagnostic SW. This time I DID see the ACTIVE FAULT come in in real time on main fault screen – code 35 – my model years’ version of Oil Switch Fail. That’s when it hit me that the reason I was not seeing the fault codes before was because they were moved over to the historical faults tab every time the engine is shut down apparently. I wrongly assumed they would stay active until cleared. Operator Error.  There were 17 old faults from my prior diagnostics and attempts.

So now I am faced with a peculiar problem. That’s a new Pressure Switch as of about 4 months ago. I don’t expect it to fail again. My dilemma now is if I put up the $300 for a new lift pump which comes with a new sensor or try to go cheapo and get just a new sensor for about $30. It’s trivial to replace either and can do it myself in less than 1 hr but so hope this is the end of the glitches…

Admiral

Remove the pressure switch and thread in an oil-filled pressre gauge and monitor the pressure at idle through 2500 rpm. Remove each pulse line and inspect for any oil residue which would mean leaky diaphragm.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

Good info. Thanks.

I am now upset with myself too for not explicitly checking the riser tube assembly and tube fitting under the plastic cover in the oil reservoir for cracks while I had that all apart and out of the boat. I have typically only kept about 1 gallon of oil in the reservoir since its too hard to see oil level through the thick plastic and I have always been afraid to over fill it. I rely on the low oil float to tell me to put in more oil and always have an extra gallon on the boat. But I seem to recall that the oil reservoir holds 2.5 gallons. Now I am wondering if there is a crack in that riser tube and it was being masked by my prior higher level oil fills. I may try to put in another 1.5 gallons to see if that submerges any possible cracks in the tube and helps get any air out that may occasion by that scenario. Extra oil height in the tank would also help alleviate a weak or partially leaking diaphragm scenario by making its easier to vacuum draw up the oil if there was a crack mid-way up the riser tube.

Admiral

The standard oil tank holds 1.8 gallons and the optional one holds 3 gallons.

Captain

I went ahead and ordered a new oil lift pump. There's been 3 upgrades since the original part was released. Seems like the only practical and best course of action for me at this point. Thanks for all the help.
Admiral

It may be a good idea to replace the oil pressure regulator also.

Captain

[ Edited ]

I can't believe this - they say the oil lift pump is no longer available. What am I supposed to do now? Bombardier just stranded us.