Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: Evinrude 225 FICHT 1999 - No Oil Console Alarm that Appears to be False Warning

Got one! Called up Bombardier USA to ask if they had subcontractor part manufacturers I coul dorder direct from due to non availability. After aboput a 15 minue wait  a customer assistant came on and she found a dealer not too far from me who had one last one in stock. I FLEW down there as fast as I could.

The poor guy didn't really want to sell it to me since he had his own private inventory of half a dozen that he told me "vanished" in the last few months in his repair business. This was his LAST one. But he was good about it and did not stick me with a scarcity fee like some might have done. Apparently there's only 6 remaining in dealer/shop private stock in the whole country according to the parts inventory database.

Man... I am getting paranoid now about this engine  being non-maintainable for lack of parts without going to salvage and e-bay used sources. Ironic given that the Evinrude Brand has ancient engines from 30 or more years ago that you can get parts from. We poor FICHT owners are like the last remaining bastards from the OMC bail out by Bombardier..

Admiral

Re: Evinrude 225 FICHT 1999 - No Oil Console Alarm that Appears to be False Warning

One of the reasons for discontinuing parts is that the companies that produced them are now out of business or no longer do that type of manufacturing.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

I was hoping to come int today and say "problem fixed". It's not. Same old BS alarm.

I replaced the lift pump and the return line oil check valve (red side toward Oil Pump assembly). Oil return flow into the reservoir is stronger with this new lift pump. I am still consistently getting the alarm 35 secs after ignition. There's a slight engine stummer or "hickup" as if electrical is glitching for a fraction of a second right when the alarm goes off. Wondering if the software waits 30 secs after start up to give time for the pressure transients to settle or if its just doing 30 sec averages on oil samples to prevent false alarms? But this kind of "feels" like an elecrrical glitch for the instant the alarm goes off . Maybe its just the ECU processor dropping timing and ignition for a few hundre milliseconds as it writes out the alarm fault to non-volatile memory?

Anyone know if there's anythiing else electrical I can check? This just does not feel like a real falure and more in the genre of sensor related errors or ECU pickup wiring or input driver circut errors.

The only remaining thing I can think of is the oil injector. If I pull that off can I just stick it in a glass jar for  a few seconds and confirm that its spraying oil out the end for a fast and dirty functional test? Wish they had a shrader pressure fitting or something I could fit on there to measure oil pressure.  Should have been standard gauges for an oil injected engine IMHO.

Captain

Did some research and spoke with DFI on the theory that  maybe the ECU input electronics for the sensor might be failed to earth/ground or open. They say they have never seen that kind of mode of failure and suggest that it may be that I have an oil switch wire shorted to ground somewhere down stream of the ECU harness or at the pin jacks. Going to check that. Then pull the wire and see if the alarm goes away since (if not shorted) I believe this model year with the oil switch being on the lift pump its just an on/off switch with ground indicating no pressure. Open circuit should give me a Oil OK input to the ECU.

Admiral

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Find someone with the diagnostic software and look at the error codes. That will tell if it an oil pressure problem or an oil injector problem.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Looks like some kind of electrical problem. I went to diagnose today and the oil light did not come on after starting. Took it out for a test run and it ran well at high speed. But then suddenly at speed the RPM tachometer started bouncing wildly all around with no change in engine RPM manifest audibly and no loss of speed. Took it back to the dock and when idled down the no oil light came back on and the tach went to zero with engine still running. Then oil light started flashing. Got it to dock and pulled wiring harness on tacho/alarm combined gauge  and reseated.. Same problem. Turned off and on a few times and oil light ocmes on and tach still flakey. Confirmed it was in SAFE mode by putting it in gear on lift with lower unit in water and could not get it to go past 2500 RPM. Pulled lift pump oil pressure switch wire lead off sensor to get an open circuit to simulate an Oil Pressure OK condition - but console no oil LED still on.

This sounds more and more like ECU input/output driver/signnal-conditioner electronics problem. Its possible the combined tachometer/alarm integrated gauges could be defective too as a double failure that is confusing the matter but there's no way I can see how that gauges could force an oil alarm code to be thrown. The common denominator is the ECU and this one has been refurbed a number of times already - the last time being the notorious 3 finger salute and non-communicative with laptop diagnostics.

Really takes the joy out of life...

Admiral

Find a known good tach to substitute. The tach signal is generated by the ECU

Captain

[ Edited ]

Yes, I had high confidence in the tach signal being good since I just put in a new Crank Position Sensor 3 weeks ago for a fail to start problem (that fixed that issue). I assume RPM is derived off the same CPS sensor.

MYSTERY SOLVED

After studying the pin-out electrical schematic for the two cable plugs into the ECU I noticed that the Tach and the Oil Switch sensor signal are side by side on pin 1 and 2 respectively. So I went out expecting to find perhaps a bent pin in the harness inside the ECU cable socket J1. I carefully inspected and convinced myself there were no shorted pins external to the ECU housing but felt at that point I had an internal cracked/loose PC board where the connectors feed into the ECU circuit. I was resigned to pull the ECU and send it to DFI for inspection and bench testing since the electronics are all sealed in marine weather gel - not a job for anyone without a lab test harness.

Then as an afterthought, with the ECU cable J1 part of the wire harness disconnected I thought I'd just do a quick ohm-out test for a hidden short inside the harness itself under the fabric wire loom. I disconnected the oil switch sensor lead wire and quickly tested confirmed that there were no shorts to ground. Then I noticed that the oil switch wire on the ECU harness side of the bundle right where it makes the hard 90 degree turn into ECU next to Cylinder #1 Injector had a deformity in the insulation. I pulled loose the wire bundle back a few inches to inspect closer and then noticed the tach wire right next to it also had a deformity. It didn’t look too bad and I figured it was just coincidental – then I looked closer and pulled the two wires apart – and sure enough I could see 2 shiny copper wire strands in each wire and through some amazing unluck they must have happened to find themselves and were cross wiring each other! I could not have made that impossibly small electrical connection if I had purposely tried to. All I can figure is that the wires were slightly touching that #1 injector and got a little hot or abraded from engine vibration or else “someone” nicked the wires way back in the days it was manufactured, or a mechanic did it (to feather his nest for his next job) or I somehow did it to myself when I had the ECU pulled out last time for refurb. Just weird and an impossible confluence of conditions. The copper was shiny with no oxidation – so it seems like it is a fairly new condition.

A Nickle worth of Electrical Tape and I am up and running like a new engine again. Woohoo

But I am extremely happy to find this. My fear was that this cross-wired signal was inside the ECU on the circuit board and was going to cost me another $650 and down-time to send of for fixing.

REALLY APPRECIATE all the help. This should be kept in archive as a lesson learned since I am now suspecting a lot of the mysterious FICHT No Oil warnings are this exact problem.

Captain

Good job and yes problems like what you have discovered can really make you pull your hair out.

Admiral

Congratulations on finding a frustrating problem that turned out to be a quick and cheap fix.

Now you understand what we techs sometimes have to go through and why certain problems take longer to find than others.

Great job, MelbJim !