Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: Evinrude 225 FICHT 1999 Won't Start - No Ignition. CPS not putting out.

[ Edited ]

I fixed it. I completely isolated the starter electrically after confirming proper solenoid operation. Used battery jumpers to hit it with a direct 12 v battery and ground and nothing happened other than getting warm.

Pulled it and dissasembled it. Visual inspection looked pretty good. Pulled out the armature and polished the commutator face and checked for isolation between the starter frame and 12+ lead.. No growler transformer so I could not test for shorted armature winding/coils but confirmed  that no adjacent commutator channels were dead shorted (1+ ohm rather than 0 ohm). . Then I tested isolation between the two sets of bruhes - 2 connected to ground and 2 connected to positive 12v. That's when I noticed that the two hold down boilts fastentiing the brush wires (coming together as 2 pairs) inside the brush housing were pretty loose. I retightened snugly at least another 1/4 turn from where they were. To my knowldge no one has ever adjusted the brushes so must have been worked lose over the last 14 years.

I cleaned up the whole assembly inside from all the carbon dust and excess drive gear grease and reassembled.

Tested it with a stand alone battery and it spun right up!

But I already have an inexpensice aftermarket starter on order so now I have my OEM starter as a backup. part.
Made one oopsie - can't remember wich side of the gear the upper trhust waster goes on - under or atop the gear. The shop manual seems tso go out of its way not to let us see the image in that area but I am thinking that the bottom face.. 

Thanks for all the help.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

MelbJim wrote:
Made one oopsie - can't remember wich side of the gear the upper trhust waster goes on - under or atop the gear.

under

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

man oh man i have the similar issue as well, excessive cranking n no start, but after along period of cranking it will start everytime let engine sit for acouplemof days n the samething all over again long cranking n no start, had the computer sent to dfi technologi and after 840.00 dollars later i still dont have a running motor dont know what to do i also need help lol, no it really dont start at all i have no spark i just dont have a way to do what they static test. can anybody also help me?

i have a 1999 evinrude fitch 200hp.

Mate

man oh man i have the similar issue as well, excessive cranking n no start, but after along period of cranking it will start everytime let engine sit for acouple of days n the samething all over again long cranking n no start, had the computer sent to dfi technologi and after 840.00 dollars later i still dont have a running motor dont know what to do i also need help lol, now it really dont start at all i have no spark i just dont have a way to do what they call static test. can anybody also help me please?

Mate

hi im new to this forum n also desperateto get my motor running again. i have the similar issue as well, excessive cranking n no start, but after along period of cranking it will start everytime let engine sit for acouple of days n the samething all over again long cranking n no start, had the computer sent to dfi technologi and after 840.00 dollars later i still dont have a running motor dont know what to do i also need help lol, now it really dont start at all i have no spark i just dont have a way to do what they call static test. can anybody also help me?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Hi

You do not have to post a question more than once here at E-NATION, one time is sufficient.

The most common cause of a NO START or a HARD STARTING engine such as yours is insufficient voltage getting to the EMM and starter, usually due to weak battery, cable problems, or corrosion on the terminals. 

If there is less than 10 volts while the motor is cranking over, then there is a problem with the battery, the cables, or the connections.

Use a digital voltmeter on the starter B+ stud ( not a cable terminal) and the ground wire attached to the starter frame and not the voltage while cranking the motor over for about 10-15 seconds. If it goes below 10 volts, then there is a problem in the circuits, battery strength, solenoid, or the starter.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.