Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Evinrude 225 HP FICHT 1999 flashing LEDs ECU/EMM no fault codes. Help.

Could use some help with ideas on what to check. My 1999 Evinrude FICHT 225 HP is giving me 3 flashing console LEDs and alarm when going to ignition key position. I can cycle power at the battery switch to silence alarms some times to get a connection to run Evinrude Diagnositcs. I see no current fault codes. It loses communication with lap top after I start to run some basic static not-running tests (oil, fuel, injectors) and a return to blinking LED condition.  This engine has low hours on it - less than 350 hrs. It has fresh batteries and cranks strongly  - just no firing and fuel primer bulb can go soft when I get this fail condition  (I presume fuel pump not cycling when ECU fails - but otherwise runs when ECU does stay up). 

Sent the ECU in for bench test and so far no problems found in ideal voltage bench conditions. They are going to thermally cycle it to the high temp side to see if anyting happens there. 

I have in the past used a battery charger on the older (since replaced) batteries to assist in cranking. I am hearing that the Evinrude electronics are sensitive to voltage spikes caused by external battery chargers. 

Is there anything else I can check down stream of the ECU itself that could go wrong here? Voltage regulator or current limiting diodes etc that could give me an instablity at the wiring harness? 

Would appreciate any help.

Admiral

Re: Evinrude 225 HP FICHT 1999 flashing LEDs ECU/EMM no fault codes. Help.

Are the 3 warning lights that come on and stay on at the same time - TEMP, NO OIL, and CHECK ENGINE? If so then there is an intermittent internal problem with the ECU.

There are 3 places that repair the FICHT ECU/EMMs and they should be familiar with the "3 light salute" and what to do if the customer notifies them of the problem.  They have help a large number of FICHT owners when they had ECU/EMM malfunctions.

These repair facilities are not associated with nor are they approved by Evinrude Outboard Motors.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Yes always the same 3 lights.

Evinrude OMC/BRP abandoned early Evinrude FICHT technology owners and discountinued even supporting us. So lacking support we had to go to other companies like DFI Technology Inc. (who I understand was founded by ex-OMC engineers who were very familiar with the ECU/EMM designs and got caught up in the OMC bankruptcy) to get any kind of support. I bought mine used wtih only a few hrs on it after the prior owner baliedl out at the first sign of OMC corporate trouble.

So many of us wanted to buy "American" with big-name strong legacy outboard enginer manufacturers like  Evninrude and not go to the foreign companies and got stuck for it. How ironic that the Evinrude name its now run by Bombardier and is a Canadian company - at least in tthe English speaking "Americas" still and a top quality name by most all accounts...

Apperciate the input. I was wondering if perhaps there could be a corroded pin in the ECU cable harness (ground or B+) or a component  like a diode, capicator, or solid state filter etc. or weak/intermittent relay or even a shorted alarm horn/LED that could over surge the op amps/drivers in the ECU?

Highlighted
Admiral

The "three light salute" is not a simple fix.

DFI Technologies was the first and only repair station for a lot of years. The founder left and the business was taken over by his brother.

The DFI founder returned to the business as Marine Computer Supply and services ECU/EMMs and PDP's.

CDI Electronics recently opened a FICHT  ECU/EMM repair service in the Huntsvill, AL area.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Got my refurbed ECU back today from DFI Technologies. Took me only 15 minutes to put it back on the engine and recabled. Ran some cursory diagnostics to be certain it was operable and took it out for a good long test run over a wide range of speeds for over an hr.  Runs beautifully! All cylinrers are firing, fuel and oil pumps are operable and I am pleased.

Admiral

Glad to hear that the motor is back up and running.  To keep it running right, it is recommended that the engine timing (offset)  is checked. Follow the service manual and be sure to first test the accuracy of the placement of the timing pointer by adhering to the procedure explained the manual.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Thanks Bill.
Yes. I have been intending to do that and need to run downtown and get a timing light and a piston stop.

There's some other things I am wanting to check too since the engine sat for a long time (about 2 years) with no running after a personal setback that took the steam out of my desire to even go boating anymore (spouse died from cancer).

If I can trust my console nstruments (that read way low on voltage and fuel etc. until the engine is in gear and around 1.5K RPM  to drive the charging system) I may have a fuel economy issue. Had a significant drop in fuel level on a full tank after only 1 hr of 4.2K-5K running.  Not withstanding instruments being out of spec that implies to me that injectors are not at peak performance and one or more may not be closing down all the way - though I smell no fuel or see no coloiration in the water or any fuel film from exhaust etc. . I

Researching good places to send FICHT injectors to for check-out and cleaning - but so far everyone seems to say "not FICHT DI".  Feeling like a **bleep** child being an early FICHT owner. The FICHT injectors  must have some kind of reputation or else its the liability on the matched serial #/coefficients they don't want to deal with? WIsh there was a re-bencing/certification lab that could clean/refurb and rerun the curve fit to derive new coefficents to account for wear and break-in that we could dial-back in to the ECUs.

I also got a CPS sync warniing (crank position sensor) in the diag. monitoring screen when I went to look at static (non running) tests. I don't know how sophisticated the diagnostics are - if its just telling me the obvious that there's no signal in a a stationary flywheel or if its actually measuring resistance and seeing high impedience/open circuit etc. But it starts right up so it must be reading it close-enough to get it firing right away and no sputtering or obvious errors.  I can't get my old top speed that I used to get - low by 10 MPH off its high 55 MPH. I thought maybe running it with full tuel tank (110 gal) was perhaps a heavy load that was bogging it down - so waiting to see if I get more oomph as the tank is consumed down. Diagnostics are hard to see on laptop in bright sunlight...