Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Evinrude 70hp cutting out/bogging down on throttle

Hi all.  Please can someone help me out here.  I have an Evinrude 70hp, think its a 1978.  The motor fires up pretty good and runs on the spot in neutral just great, tickover does seem a little high though.  I took it out for the first time since buying last week and when I first pulled off it was fine, got straight up onto plane.  I throttled down then when I went to trottle back up it sounded really boggy.  At full throttle it was doing between 5 and 7 knotts!  I switched the outboard off then restarted.  When I pull off slow, it pulls off fine but as soon as I put throttle on it bogs down and cuts out.  In neutral with the cover off, you can rev manually and you can put at full throttle without out any issues, apart from a minor slight bog down before going to high revs.  I drained most of the old fuel out from last year, left about 5 litres in it and topped up with 8 litres of new.  Could the old fuel be causeing this?  It smells like the engine is flooding as when I got to dock it dumped a load of fuel behind.  Also I noticed it doesnt always pee.  Now I have changed the impella etc and found that the pee hole was blocked with crap, cleaned that out and it peed but when I ran last week it stopped peeing.  Im assuming its just blocked again as I ran the boat on the water, going up and down the river for an hour at full throttle, but it had low revs and maxed at 7 knotts.  As we were coming back to dock it sounded like every now and then it would try to give you more power and you would get a push for a few secondes before dropping again.  Can anyone help please.  Thanks.  I have videos of it running from first start, when it had a some power and got on the plane, and when we were running at full throttle but at 7 knots.

Admiral

Re: Evinrude 70hp cutting out/bogging down on throttle

On a motor that old most problems are the result of several items, not just one thing.

A knowledgeable tech should check out the motor completely including the basics such as compression, ignition output, linkage and timing adjustments, and carburetor cleanliness. Your flooding description could be from the carbs and/or leaking fittings, fuel pump, or hoses. If one or more cylinders are not firing, then that unburned gasoline is going right into the water.

Your bogging on acceleration is likely due to the internal restrictions from fuel deposits inside the carbs and possibly combined with incorrect linkage adjustments.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for your reply,  The outboard has been compression tested and all good, it has had a new power pack etc.  I'm thinking its the old fuel from last year not buring up right or the fuel mixture.  Its ticking over pretty high so think its fooding..  I'm going to take the carb cover off and check for the obvious.  With the carb pins, do you know roughly were they should be positioned?

Skipper

Had similar problem last year, turned out to be a bad power pac. Have them checked before frustrating yourself.

I kept on thinking bad fuel carbs, NOT the problem.

Mate

Hi did you ever manage to fix the problem got same issue thanks
Mate

Hi I also have the same issue on an Evinrude 70hp. What did you guys work out was the issue??
Mate

Same issue on a 1977 Evinrude 70. Starts perfectly and runs well at low speeds, and runs well at high speed for a while. Then the motor stalls when I try to accelerate. Will putt along contededly, but stalls when I push down the lever. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Admiral

@Maverick wrote:
Same issue on a 1977 Evinrude 70. Starts perfectly and runs well at low speeds, and runs well at high speed for a while. Then the motor stalls when I try to accelerate. Will putt along contededly, but stalls when I push down the lever. Any ideas would be appreciated.

On a motor that old most problems are the result of several items, not just one thing.

A knowledgeable tech should check out the motor completely including the basics such as compression, ignition output, linkage and timing adjustments, and carburetor cleanliness. Your flooding description could be from the carbs and/or leaking fittings, fuel pump, or hoses. If one or more cylinders are not firing, then that unburned gasoline is going right into the water.

Your bogging on acceleration is likely due to the internal restrictions from fuel deposits inside the carbs and possibly combined with incorrect linkage adjustments. Do not overlook a sticking timer base that also affects acceleration.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I have the same issue....has anyone had an answer on this one?  No service garage in my area will look at this evinrude...

Need help.  Thank you

Mate

same here all new electronics cleaned carbs new pump new tank