Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: Evinrude 70hp cutting out/bogging down on throttle

Have same issue with 1995 Evinrude 50hp E50TLEOD. Boat had been left for 4 years in slough. Found, good compression, towed home. Mechanic cleaned carbs and engine fired up. Took out for about 3 hours combined run time. It would idle and when went to put in gear had to rev and quickly put in gear.
Took her out again and seemed to bog down. Changed fuel lines, filter. Not sure about carb adjusting screws. They are turned out about 5 and a half turns. She Will idle but rough. She dies when placed in gear. Not sure what else to do. I use non ethanol fuel, Startron and put SeaFoam in tank. Fuel mixture is 50:1. Any ideas appreciated. Someone did suggest I check all grounds. Havent done that yet as I felt this was a fuel delivery issue.
Admiral

What are the compression readings for all 3 cylinders?

Does the spark jump a 7/16" gap when cranking over ?

What is the model number of the engine?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Would stretched cables make this happen? Maybe a dumb question.
Mate

Hi I have the same issue 1989 evinrude 70hp we had a play with throttle adjustment and it went like a cut cat then turned to come back in then bogged down went from pulling 25knots to 7-8knot bloody annoying all new fuel lines fuel filters fuel flushed with seafoam