Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Evinrude 9.9 issue

Got the outboard finally working after replacing the gasket kit on the carbs. And after a testrun within a half nautical mile and run it for a while. It suddenly dies just before the marina. So after som fiddling around I tried and tried to get it running I forward. But dies. So after aim adjustment on idle. It runs fairly slow on low idle gas. Neutral is going smooth even reverse ut forward is not working properly. I am giving up after 2 weeks.

So I am really irritated on this engine. Replaced gaskets on fuelpump and carb. New spark plugs. New gasoline. I am not trusting this engine at all. So really unsatisfied. So what it there to do.

We barley made it into the slip, once again died in the last turn. Sigh the. I just grabbed the lines and pulled in the boat by hand.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Evinrude 9.9 issue

fuel pump?

air leaks in the fuel line?

gas tank vent plugged?

ignition system failing after running a while?

overheating?

plug fouling?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I dunno either. Checkin tomorrow.
Since its running fine in neutral.
Reverse gear has higher idle rpm and forward lower rpm before died on me. Did follow the assembly of fuelpump kit/rebuild of Evinrude/Johnson 15hp on YouTube which does has the same fuelpump.And carb So I don’t really know.
Tank plugged, fuel line ziptied,normal heating.

Fouling, doesn’t seem to have issues in neutral. Either running after a while. Just when shift the gear in forward that it die. Have to adjust the throttle slightly to keep running. Barely.
Highlighted
Skipper

But if i press on the throttle more it dies..
Highlighted
Skipper

Someone mentioned the gaswire isn’t adjusted properly, hence forward gear is throttling down while reverse is rpm upwards.

So that too which I have to look up, how to adjust. Either way engine is hogging down while in forward gear.
Highlighted
Skipper

https://youtu.be/nK8bWWZ9-Co engine outside port, in neutral. New video uploaded in few hours.
Highlighted
Skipper