Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Evinrude E-TEC 225 won't start!!

Hi group!

I have an Evinrude E-Tec 225 that won't start.

It was working fine when I stored it last year and now here are its symptoms :

- When I turn the key the fuel pump works

- The I-command gauges work

- Trim works on the engine itself

- Engine was fine before storage (Canada)

- THE DIGITAL CONTROL ARM does not light up. It does not tilt the engine and the ignition button does not work either. Closest dealer is 300 miles away...

Seems to me that it's an electrical/sync problem.

Did anyone get this kind of problem with their evinrude engine?

I'm new to this group and I really hope to be a part of it! I'll look at others questions in case I can help as well.

Thanks to whomever answers this post Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Evinrude E-TEC 225 won't start!!

What is the model and serial number of your motor?

Have you checked all the fuses  in the system and every connection for looseness, corrosion, or mechanical failure?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi Bill,

I'm glad that you replied I read some of your posts on this forum and you seem to be really knowlegeable in these motors.

Model : DE225CXINS

SER no : 05337658

I had a 3A fuse that was blown near the ignition button that I changed. I checked every connection and I haven't found anything loose yet. As for corrosion we do use it in saltwater, but I make sure to rinse it every time we go fishing (electrical components are well protected I believe). As for mechanical failure, none reported. The motor was checked last year and everything was fine just like when I stored it last winter.

My boat is a 1999 Zodiac Hurricane 590 mostly custom made. At first it had an inboard Volvo Penta engine that we removed. I made a custom aluminium tank to fit the motor on. If there's a way for me to put picture I could show you what it looks like (since I'm pretty proud of it, it's really safe as well compared to my previous tracker boat!). Everything on it is custom made except the frame. It's been three years and that's the first time I have a problem with this boat. Since I'm no mechanic I really hope to have the chance to find the problem before going to the dealership lol !$

Still the same problem, I can't start it. The fuel pump turns on when the key is turned to ON, but the nothing from the ignition button or from the control arm.

Here's a photo of the control arm that I have : https://www.google.com/search?q=evinrude+icon+2&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjbjbmo_5jqAhVTA98KHfYhB7UQ2-cCeg...

(I have only one motor installed and I use the left arm, the other 225 motor is a spare for now, but I'm looking to sell it)

Thanks again Bill for your time

Highlighted
Admiral

Thanks for telling me that you only have one motor now.  The digital shift and throttle models have to be programmed for port and starboard. With the dual lever control on a single motor, I'm not sure how that would work. The electronic controls in the motor need to have the correct "instance chip" installed for one thing.

I suggest contacting your dealer who can visually check the wiring, instance settings, and use the diagnostic software to check out the whole system.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Oh it works, been using it for three years that way.

Problem is there is no communication with the digital shift and the motor, which I don't understand why.

Do you have an idea where the problem could be?