Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Evinrude E-Tec 90 HP starting issues

I have a 2007 90 HP Etec that I purchased a year ago. In warm weather it cranks OK but sounds like the starter is struggling. With cold weather now here I cranked the engine yesterday with some difficulty. This morning after a 30 degree night, it will not start although it tries to turn over but really slow. Tried jumping with no success. I tend to think this is a starter issue. Comments from anyone will be appreciated
Mate

Re: Evinrude E-Tec 90 HP starting issues

Captain

Need to try with a fully charged minimum 850 cca battery and clean tight cable ends before replacing the starter.
Admiral

In 2010 they came out with a gear reduction starter to replace the direct drive version that your motor has. If your problem is the starter, replace it with the newer style for best results. You will have to trim away a small area of the flywheel shield to accommodate the new starter.

First use a voltmeter on the starter post and starter frame and monitor the voltage as the starter cranks the motor or tries to. If it is below 10 volts, the battery, connections, or cables will need to be repaired or replaced.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.