Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: Evinrude FICHT 225 Water in Fuel (37) Code.

[ Edited ]

The only other source of water that I can think of that might get to the motor's fuel-water-separator is the OIL RESERVOIR. I believe I recall that oil is injected throuhg a check valve straight into the fuel lines AFTER the boat-side pre-filter-separator and UPSTREAM of the Motor's fuel-water separator filter. If there's any chance of there being real water in there could it come from the oil injection system's reservoir? That's the last thing I can think of - some malicious person dumping a slug of water down the oil fill nozzle here at my condo marina?

I completely cleaned out and checked the oil reservoir about 5 months ago to diagnose another problem that turned out to also be a false alarm.

Admiral

If there was enough water from the oil tank delivered to the fuel system to trigger the alarm in the fuel filter, chances are the motor would be trashed from pumping water instead of oil onto the cylinder walls and bearings.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

BIll quick three questions.
1) Do you know what the nominal resistance should be at the water-fuel seperator sensor for good fuel mix and what is the trigger resistence for water present? I want to experiment with a cup of fuel and water in it and see if I can convince myself if its a sensor problem or a problem with the ECU/EMM signal conditioning being all out of spec,

2) To defeat the sensor can I just unplug the sensor lead wires at the sensor to silence the alaram if I am convinved ther's no water in there and its a false alarm?

3) Must I manually reset the fault codes with diagnostic Software each time it triggers or will the ECU clear itsself after it senses all OK? That's that last theory I have is that the signal is now good but the old fault is reaasserging the horn alarm since I never manually cleared it.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

1) I've never measured the resistance

2) You can unplug  the water sensor but be aware that you are disabling a factory warning system component. Be sure to check for any shorts or grounding of the wires in the harness up to the EMM connector. Wiggle the harness with an ohmmeter attached to both wires and again with the meter probes between each wire and the engine block while unplugged from the EMM.

3) The warning  disappears when the EMM no longer senses a lowered resistance across the probes. The error code does remain in the historical memory.

What is your engine model number?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

OK Tthanks. THe Model # is E225FPXEES.

I spent a lot of time proving to myself that the sensor and wiring harness are in good order with no intermittencies or shorts. That leaves the EMM/ECU internal electronics. I am guessing there's a signal conditioner board inside there that has a flaky or out of spec component (like an op amp, IC, or capicator etc.). This EMM has a history of problems and this is in fact my 3rd refurb. It turns out the last refurb was less than a year ago with DFI Tech. After speaking with them they say that they can probably repair it under warranty claim. So pulled it off and sent it in, They say its not a rare failure and they have seen it before. Will know this week.

I still am curious though about the part changes on the fuel water separator. Boats-dot-net shows that the sensor is now obsolete and the latest filter/separator I put in there is a different part number than what I have used previously - though it looks identical. Wondering if it still might be some rediculous thing like the sensor wires touching the bottom of the metal canister due to a minor change in the depth of the filter etc. That 2 wire sensor part being obsolete makes me suspicious.

Admiral

Your engine is a 1999 model and it was only one year in production and  has an ECU with a separate voltage regulator/rectifier. For 2000 the FICHT engine, the electronics,  and operating voltages were completely redesigned and not compatible with the 1999. It was also the first year for the EMM.

If the wiring and probes are not shorted, then you may well have an internal ECU problem. The repair places should be famililar with it as that ECU has been around now for over 16 years.

Highlighted
Captain

They recreated the problem in the lab. Cracked component being replaced. 

Admiral

We hope that you will be back up and running shortly.

Captain

Got it back from DFI today. Reinstalled in a few minutes. Sarted right up. Ran for 3 hrs to test run (hitting all the tiki bars along the river) and no alarms. Woohoo... hapiness except I dropped the silly little bolt that locks down the big starting assist capacitor somwhere deep in the engine between the block and injectors and had to tie wrap it down till I can get a new bolt. 

Anyone know the size of that stainless short bolt so I can go pick one up at the HW store without having to go on a hunting expedition for the missing bolt that's somewhere down between the block and the injectors? It's seems around 1/4". 

Mate

Long story short, was it a faulty ECU?