Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Evinrude Ficht Ram emm replacement

Hi Guys , i had some problems with an overheating EMM which results i needed to replace the emm of the engine . I have now purchased an emm from ebay which is a used emm but same as the one i am replacing , but this is from a 225 hp not 200hp , they told me it is the same emm and that we only need to reprogramm it with our software and all would be fine , does anyone know how i can go about it ?

Admiral

Re: Evinrude Ficht Ram emm replacement

[ Edited ]

Due to EPA regulations and Evinrude's design you cannot swap with a used EMM.

Your EMM can be repaired by a couple of rebuilders or your Evinrude dealer can exchange it.

Because you had EMM overheating issues, the EMM and vapor separator tank cooling systems will have to cleaned, inspected, or repaired before you install a rebuilt or exchanged EMM to avoid future problems and possible voiding of EMM warranty.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

who can i contact to repair our original emm, any suggestions ?

Admiral

marinecomputersupply.com

dfitechnologies.com

These are independent repair shops and are not associated with Evinrude Outboards. They have been around for a lot of years and have a decent reputation and a 1 year warranty for their services.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi ,

Thanks for the usefull info , will proceed to contact them . you where of great help thanks a lot .

Mate

Hey Folks!  New member...thanks ! 

Also bought used from 2011 (same part #) on on Ebay and installed about 2 weeks ago. Got a 2001 225(E225FPXSIF) that ran great last year with no issues. Had no spark conditon and required EMM replacement. Engine now starts better than before but I now have a NO OIL ALARM putting it in safe mode.  I can see/hear a slight hesitation within 5 seconds of start up that turns on this light.  Bled oil system; changed oil pressure switch....now am perplexed..

Anyone care to share their thoughts on my next move...Cheers

Admiral

[ Edited ]

If you installed a used EMM in your motor without it programmed for your particular engine and injector coefficients, you may be looking at future motor problems, possible engine damage, or poor running characteristics - not to mention of possibly being in violation of Federal EPA regulations.

There are several NO OIL type of alarms, each meaning a different situation.  You first need to run an engine report to find out which error code(s) could be stored in the EMM memory using the Evinrude diagnostic software and a laptop. You may have to enlist the services of a trained tech. The problem possibly is a lack of oil flow, incorrect oil pressure, a faulty oil injector, a bad EMM, or an electrical malfunction in the circuitry.

Once you know which code(s), or post them here, you will then know where to procede with the troubleshooting. A factory service manual can show you how.

These EPA low-emission computer-controlled engines - of all makes - require new skills, tools, and computerized software to service and maintain. It is too expensive to keep throwing new parts on the motor until is runs right like was done for years on traditional outboard motors.

Mate

Thanks for the feedback.

Biggest issue is that dealer does not want to work on this motor (perhaps a knowledge or know-how issue) so I am being forced to find diagnositc alternatives.  

I have access and read many of the shop maual sections for the diagnostic but now it seems I must find the harness and software to retrieve posted codes as you said and ensure the EMM is tied to this particular motor.

Any suggestions as to best place to locate the cabling and software?

Cheers!

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Obtain legal software and a genuine cable from an authorized Evinrude dealer or pay a small amount for a dealer to print out a report for you.

There are many stories about purchasing software from overseas through Ebay and other sources that resulted in viruses on your computer, that it did not work or was never received after sending money.

Mate

NEWFY Dave,2001 225, I had same prodlem NO OIL LIGHT, IT WAS A SHORT FOR ME.I FIXED IT BY NOTICING THE SMURF TUBE FOR WIRES WAS IN STALLED WITH THE CUT OR SLICE TOWARDS BLOCK .(BACKWARDS TO ME). FIRST MAKE SURE YOU CAN FEEL THE OIL PUMP PULSING THE ONE WITH 6HOSES.YOU CAN FEEL IT PULSING OIL.IF SO START LOOSING things UP TO GET IN TO WIRE HARNESS MY SHORT WAS DEEP NEXT TO BLOCK WIGGLE WIRES WITH MOTOR RUNNIG TO HELP FIND WHEN LIGHT GOES OFF