Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Evinrude/Johnson 9.9 & 15 HP Engines

First I want to say that over the past winter I purchased a pair of 2014 150HP Etecs for my center console and have been using them all summer.  I am now at the 70 hour mark and have had no problems so far.  They are excellent engines in that they are quieter than my old Ocean Runners, much more fuel and oil efficient and have outstanding torque with the four bladed propellors which the dealer and I chose for the engines.

Now I am looking to purchase either a 9.9 or 15HP Evinrude or Johnson for my ten foot RIB and want some advice.  I do not want a four stroke because of the weight and manitenance costs.  The people I have spoken with say these two engines share the same block but may have had the carburetor tweaked to get 15HP from them.  My research reveals that these engines were 13.3 cubic inches when first introduced in the late 70s or early 1980s and then were increased to 15.6 cubic inches in the late 80s or early 90s.  My questions are when did the increase in cubic inches occur, since the cubic inch increase were there any upgrades or improvements to them and if so in what model years did they occur, how well have these engines stood up - i.e what has been their track record over the years in general, is there any significant difference in performance between the 9.9 and the 15, are there any particular issues that have plagued these engines that I should look for, can I use the XD 100 oil in them and is there continuing parts availablity for them.  In short I am trying to make the most informed purchase decision I can.  I read this forum often and respect the advice that is exchanged and provided particularly by Bill.

I look forward to whatever thoghts others have.

Thanks 

Captain

Re: Evinrude/Johnson 9.9 & 15 HP Engines

nice to hear you have had no issues from your 150's should be getting mine here in a week or so, what prop did end up using?
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words.

The 9.9-15 hp series were built from 1974 up through 2007 - one of the longest production runs of any outboard motor. They were all good motors but the 1974-76 did not have elctronic  ignition systems.

There were usually more differences than just a carburetor for the  9..9 and 15. They changed over the years and the only way to find out is to compare the parts lists for the same year. The large block was introduced for 1986. You can tell by the 3-bolt thermostat cover on the top of the cylinderhead.Older models had the thermostat at the bottom of the cylinderhead that was not accessable unless you removed the whole water cover on the head.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I have the four blade cyclone props.  Because my boat is a center console which is heavier in the stern and lighter in the bow the cyclone was recommended for better lift.  Also because it has four blades it is a bit smoother than a three blade prop. Hope this helps.

Captain

Bill,

Thank you for your very informative reply.    

i have a couple of questions - first does BRP still support these engines  so that there is adequate parts availability and second will BRP ontinue to support these engines for the forseeable future?

Thanks. 

Admiral

@jjmcke wrote:

i have a couple of questions - first does BRP still support these engines  so that there is adequate parts availability and second will BRP ontinue to support these engines for the forseeable future?

I have a couple of answers,  YES and YES

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I run one of each motor your talking about. I run a 9.9 kicker on my boat for the horsepower limited lakes and as a back up on Lake Michigan and I run a 15 hp on a flat bottom Jon boat I use for shallow rivers in the area. Both motors perform great and parts are very easy to come if you should happen to need them. I change gear lube , impellers , plugs once a year. I run the motors year round on the rivers in the area that dont freeze so they get a year round work out.

Capt. Pat Harrison
Captain

Thank you.

Mate

Pretty Sure the last generation 1986 or newer did not get a larger block. Just bored out fro about 222cc to 256cc.

The production stopped in 2000.  They made no more.  They sold the left overs as new changing the decals year to year until sold out.