Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Evinrude PN 584348

I have had to snip off the end of the +ve battery cable. Where it connected to the lug was beginning to wear. I was surprised by the fact that the cable was not tinned.  It had a copper core surrounded by two layers of insulation, one white (inner) one black (outer).  It is a genuine part PN 584348 and still has the manufactures sticker on it. Is this the way it’s supposed to be. Why would Evinrude not manufacture battery cables tinned as standard?  

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Evinrude PN 584348

I would suppose that like in all products there is a cost vs durability factor.
As an Evinrude technician I see many battery cables that are 20 years old with no problems. I have also seen many cables "killed" by poor installation.
Wear on a cable end indicates that your cable end is trying to support the weight of the cables. The cables should be supported/secured near the battery end.
I recently saw a pontoon boat where the batteries were installed under a seat in a non vented compartment, yes, all terminals were corroded. I also see a lot of batteries that are not secured so they slide around trying to drag the cables with them.