Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Evinrude Touch Up Paint!

The skeg and nose of the gearbox on my lower had shed paint after encounters with sandbars.  This is 2009 ETEC white.

Got a spray can from the local BRP dealer, Sanded the area well and used toluol solvent to clean. 

It sprayed well, no runs, sags, drips or errors.  Gave a like factory finish and gloss.  Hardly can notice where it blended with the factory paint.  Color match is near perfect.  Sprayed on about 6 thin coats.  Still have a third to half a can left

I'm really pleased.

Admiral

Re: Evinrude Touch Up Paint!

Evinrude uses a high quality paint so you can get a near factory finish when using a "rattle can" for touch up.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Good to hear that.  I have a little ding on my lower unit I've been thinking of touching up.  Off I go to the BRP dealer.

I have the white E-tec as well.  Do I need to take the model or serial number with me?  Or is white all the same?

John

Admiral

777171 is the spray can part number for the E-TEC white

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I used the Dremel oscillating sander (multimax) and sanded well trying to blend in the deeper paint cuts. That is some tough paint as I sanded for a while.
Spray can paint blended in the deep cuts well. The paint can sprays a thin film that requires multiple coats but it makes for smooth well blended finish.
Skipper

Guys, I am very frustrated trying to find out what paint color matches my 2014 Etec HO 250Hp engine.  The model is E250HGLABB and serial number is 5401851.  Evinrude and the dealers seem to have no way of telling me what color to buy.  I already had one dealer guess wrong (I thought they were telling me exactly what I needed for my serial number) and I ordered the wrong color on line.  I have no dealer near me to buy on sight.  How is it possible for Evinrude to not be able to tell me what paint color to buy for my serial number?  Dark Blue Spectracron with order code 0351907 seems to be the wrong color.  It is more blue than mine.  My motor seems to be a charcoal grey with a slight bluish tint.  I refuse to keep paying 15 bucks for on line paint until I guess right on the color but I can't get any help.  Evinrude and the dealers can't even supply me with a color chart so I can try to match it up visually.  This is crazy.  I am a new Evinrude owner and am very disappointed in the lack of support from the company.  I call Evinrude at 844-345-4277 when I try to get help but they just push me off to the dealers.  Does anyone have a better number to try?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks,

Mike.  

Admiral

[ Edited ]

# 0777177   Smoke

PPG Paint  Code W29870

Catalyst: W45315

# 0777172  Primer

Skipper

Thanks Bill.  Are you with Evinrude?  How do you know this is the color for my particular motor?  Are you making your best guess or are you sure?  So far nobody can tell me the color based on my serial number but I hope you know for sure.  I don't want to keep ordering paint cans hoping it is a match.  Thanks for your time. Mike 330-550-2625  

Admiral

[ Edited ]

From the factory parts list site   shop2.evinrude.com 

The letter G in your model number denotes the graphite (smoke) color of your motor.

Skipper

Wow, thanks Bill.  You are the first person to give me some concrete info.  I guess when I need answers I will come to this site from now on.  You must be with Evinrude huh?  I wish Evinrude owners could call the regular customer service line and talk to people like you who are knowledgeable.  I had to go through a couple weeks of frustration to find you.  I wonder why the dealers and people answering questions at Evinrude don't know what you know.  I talked to 4 dealers and a few people at Evinrude and nobody knew about this paint identification.  Do you know of a dealer that I can use to order parts through the mail that has the knowledge you have?  Thanks for your help.  Mike.