Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Excessive Oil Usage on ETEC G2 300

I have an ETEC G2 300 engine with 24 hours of usage.  Started a trip this past weekend in calm waters with 100% oil and ran at a steady 30% throttle setting with the auto trim on.  Returned with only 55% oil remaining meaning I burned almost 1 gallon of oil in 5 hour trip which seems excessive.   Engine ran smoothly with no problems.  Anyone have any ideas of why this much oil is being used?  At this rate I would get about 10 hours of usage at 30% throttle setting when they claim the engine can go about 50 hours (at higher throttle) before needing an oil refill.    

On the Evinrude Q&A site it states:  

Q: I read elsewhere on your web site Evinrude E-TEC engines can run up to 50 hours without needing to a...

A: This is based on ICOMIA studies which have found the average recreational user runs their engine 50 hours per year and, for each hour of run time, they run their engine:

• 24 minutes @ idle
  • 15 minutes @ 40% throttle
  • 9 minutes @ 60% throttle
  • 8.5 minutes @ 80% throttle
  • 3.5 minutes @ full throttle

Therefore, if you idle or troll more than this, you may use less oil, or, if you run full throttle more than this, you may use more oil.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Excessive Oil Usage on ETEC G2 300

The oil consumption on your G2 engine is controlled by the engine computer ( EMM ) depending on rpm,, throttle position, temperatures, acceleration, etc. It is not a fixed amount per hour of running.

Having the correct propeller installed is the first thing to check, The motor at full throttle has to turn within the published recommended rpm range. If it is outside the range, extra oil is introduced to help protect the motor while it is "out of spec."

To find your consumption, fill both the oil tank and the fuel tank to the top and run the boat normally. Use up at least 50 gallons of fuel, preferably more, then measure accurately the gas and oil needed to top off both tanks. From those figures "do the math."

Each startup uses more oil as the pump is primed to purge any air bubbles. Every hard acceleration adds to oil use. Make sure that the motor is coming up to the proper temperature also as a cool running motor burns more gas and lube. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Propping is Key.  The closer you can get to the higher end of the rpm range, the better.  We are assuming the motor is past the break in period as the motor does inject extra oil for the first 2 hours above 2000 rpm.

Highlighted
Mate

I'm approaching 100 hours on my 250 G2 and i'm burning oil at alarming rate. Granted to run my 23 Sea Craft pretty hard, but I recently burned through half a tank of oil during a 2 hour timeframe.

I can reach 5900 rpm with this prop, but still not convinced it's the correct prop for my boat
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

One thing the Evinrude E-TEC G2 does is add extra oil at 6000 rpm and above to help protect the engine when overrevving. Because your motor is propped very close to that threshold, it is possible that you may be at the edge of consuming extra oil as the rpm changes constantly while running depending on sea conditions. It is possible that less oil could be consumed installing a prop that allows the motor to run in the middle of the rpm range - around 5600-5700 rpm.

Multiple starting and stopping also uses oil as the motor triggers more oil on startup to purge any air bubbles and hard acceleration tells the engine computer to pump more oil because of the load on the engine. A throttle jockey will use more oil than someone with a steady hand on the throttle lever.

There is no set fuel-oil ratio as consumption is determined by environmental conditions and controlled by the EMM.

Start with full tanks of fuel and oil. Run the boat normally until the oil level is low. Keep track of the total fuel used and the amount of oil it takes to refill the tank and report back.  Most owners find the ratios vary from 60:1 to as high as 100:1. It all depends on how you use the throttle and how hard you run the motor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I have twin G2 225 on the back of a Davis long cabin 25 roughly 9000 lbs wet . I have more than enough horse behind the boat . I did 443 miles in 3 days on the boat recently . The sea conditions were relatively good trolled a lot in those miles . I burned an average of 1.8 miles to the gallon . Around 240ish gallons Burned
Went through 7 gallons of oil . Seems like excessive oil burning to me . These G2s aren't all they are cracked up to be . On top of fuel cost that was about an extra $ $200 and change in oil . What the heck man they don't add that part in the brochure..
Is there a cheaper alternative oil that can be used either the same protection as evinrudes XD100? At this rate I'll be spending thousands a year in just oil
Please help .
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Please tell us more about the boat, the weight, top rpm with a regular load of fuel and people aboard, what prop and size and any other history of the rig or recent servicing. We need every bit of information to be able to assist you.

What has your dealer done and what does he say about it?

Is this a new boat or was it repowered with the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines? If a repower, what make, model, year engines were on it, what prop sizes, rpms, and speed did it attain, along with fuel economy?

Highlighted
Mate

Off the top of my head I know sea trialed
5500 rpm 48 knots medium - heavy load about 3/4 fuel capacity me plus one passenger all the fishing and dive gear on board 80lbs of ice plus 3 days rations
Running a solar 4 blade 17
Boat runs like a top .. boat cruises 23 kts 3400 rpm 1.5-1.7 on full load 3 -4 guys plus all the above and full . fuel cusumption gets better as boat burns fuel and load lightens up got 2.0 on the way back to the harbor . No smoke out the exhaust that I can tell .

Tried 3 blades sent by evinrude ran like a dog

Do you know if I can run any full synthetic oil in that or does it have to be XD100.
Can I run west marine full syn .
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

If you get the opportunity, you may want to try an Evinrude RX-4 prop in a 16" pitch. That would probably put the engine up somewhere near the peak horsepower output of 5750 rpm.

Page 14 of the G2 operator's guide:

The following 2–stroke outboard oils are recommended
for use in your Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard:

• Evinrude XD100 Direct Injection Oil
• Evinrude XD50 2–Stroke Oil
• or a synthetic TC-W3 NMMA-certified oil

Evinrude XD100 oil is preferred for your
Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard.

Highlighted
Mate

I also am burning oil at an alarming rate on my Striper 2601. I'm burning 4L per 3-4hrs of straight out running my 2012 Evinrude ETEC 300hp. Seems absolutely crazy to me.