Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

Exhaust Pressure Fitting - 2000 Ficht RAM 90HP

[ Edited ]

Hello, folks. Was hoping to run this by the gurus, if anyone knows the Fichts.

Model: E90FPLSSH

I've got a code and alarm for Barometric Pressure at WOT. I also have wandering RPMs at mid-range throttle, which manifests as a 50-100 RPM dip and recovery while running.

I've done some research and want to replace my Exhaust Pressure Fitting. This is the replacement fitting per the Evinrude parts site. I have one on order but not yet in-hand -

s-l1600.jpg

And this is what I removed from the motor, and what the hole looks like:

IMG_20190716_182028.jpgIMG_20190716_181915.jpg

My hunch is that the long part of my original EP fitting has snapped off in the hole. But I never heard it snap and see no evidence of a jagged break line, so I'm hoping to confirm that before I start yanking on the part in that hole or drilling it out.

Strangely, my service manual appears to have no mention of this fitting or service thereof.

I thank you in advance.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Exhaust Pressure Fitting - 2000 Ficht RAM 90HP

@asechrest wrote:

Hello, folks. Was hoping to run this by the gurus, if anyone knows the Fichts.

Model: E90FPLSSH

I've got a code and alarm for Barometric Pressure at WOT. I also have wandering RPMs at mid-range throttle, which manifests as a 50-100 RPM dip and recovery while running.

I've done some research and want to replace my Exhaust Pressure Fitting. This is the replacement fitting per the Evinrude parts site. I have one on order but not yet in-hand -

s-l1600.jpg

And this is what I removed from the motor, and what the hole looks like:

IMG_20190716_182028.jpgIMG_20190716_181915.jpg

My hunch is that the long part of my original EP fitting has snapped off in the hole. But I never heard it snap and see no evidence of a jagged break line, so I'm hoping to confirm that before I start yanking on the part in that hole or drilling it out.

Strangely, my service manual appears to have no mention of this fitting or service thereof.

I thank you in advance.

If it's the original exhaust pressure fitting it was made of plastic and tended to brake apart. The replacement part is steel. You will have carefully drill it out.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks for the reply! Without the new fitting in hand, my initial question would be what am I drilling out? Am I drilling out the entirety of the silver "tube" in that hole? Or am I drilling out whatever remains of what was inside that tube?

Highlighted
Captain

@asechrest wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Without the new fitting in hand, my initial question would be what am I drilling out? Am I drilling out the entirety of the silver "tube" in that hole? Or am I drilling out whatever remains of what was inside that tube?

Others may have an opinion, if it were me I would wait until the new part arrived and make a call then. Years ago I had a Ficht and I needed to replace that fitting, but I was lucky and it came out whole.

Highlighted
Captain

Ok, I will see if anyone else has an opinion. My part is currently lost by the USPS. They're researching it and will send a new part if it cannot be found. In the meantime just trying to get a strategy together. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Highlighted
Admiral

They are steel, not plastic. Be sure you install a new gasket with the new tube.

You can use a round EZ-out lightly tapped into the tube and chuck it into a reversable drill. Run the drill in reverse which tightens the EZ-out and pull on the drill carefully. If everything goes right, the roughness of the tube will grind away the carbon and slowly the tube will withdraw out of the block.  Then use a stiff round brush, such as a valve guide brush to clean out the remaining carbon deposits and threads.

Use something like Loctite teflon pipe or thread sealant on the new tube threads and do not overtighten.

5001551 FITTING, Exhaust  pressure

-  supersceded from 5001297

0346527 GASKET, Exhaust fitting

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

@BluewaterBill

Thank you, truly.

I just ordered a new gasket. I've got some regular SpeedOuts but I think a cylindrical EZ Out is what you're talking about and is probably the best option to fit into the ID of the tube so I'll pick up a set. Probably something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-53227-Multi-Spline-Extractor/dp/B0002SRG66?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

I bought this boat (2002 Key West 1720 DC with 90HP Ficht) last year with eyes wide open. It's my first boat. And my family of four has created great memories in a short 16 months, including two trips to the Keys, watersports, fishing trips, and island hopping. I did my research on the Ficht and made my decision. I have come to appreciate the Ficht for what it is - a powerful 2 stroke ahead of it's time, that asks for understanding of how it operates and appropriate maintenance. It's nearing 500 hours and it's a great motor. And I am appreciative of a select few who've shared their Ficht knowledge all over the internet.

I'll be working on this in the next few days and will mark the thread as solved when complete.

Highlighted
Captain

Oh, I thought originally they were plastic with a ceramic insert. 

Highlighted
Captain

asechrest ,

I have had many (More than 100) of these block-up and being stuck. There are different way to remedy this.

This is what I found: If head dos'nt break, keep spinning it and at the same time pull outwards on exhaust nipple. Vice-grip is my preferred tool. Then clean hole with a 5/16" drill bit. Cover tube from innermost hole on nipple to thread with gasket sealer no.# 3.

Refit and service yearly.

In cases like yours: I tap the remainder of tube into midsection and remove whatever is left of it at water pump service time. Then clean hole with 5/16" drill bit and follow suggestion above.

As Bluewater Bill said, locktite on thread and new gasket.

Highlighted
Admiral

@Nordmann wrote:

This is what I found: If head dos'nt break, keep spinning it and at the same time pull outwards on exhaust nipple. Vice-grip is my preferred tool.

If the tube does not break off, chuck the nipple end in a  drill, let it spin as you pull outward. When spinning quickly, it cuts through the carbon fairly fast and comes right out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.