Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Exhaust back pressure hose to EMM ?

Looks like I need to replace this hose for the 2nd time, the hose interior is collapsed again. If the hose is completely or partialy blocked what does the emm do? Does it adjust fuel,oil,timing or something else?  E135HGLABF  ser. 05440477

Admiral

Re: Exhaust back pressure hose to EMM ?

Have you removed and inspected the exhaust pressure sensor tube for cleaning and inspection? Often it is broken or burned and the hot exhaust gases can migrate up the hose causing damage. Are you using a factory hose or just one that fits?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Good Morning

I'm using the factory hose, I have a previous post about a problem I continue to have about oil leaks from air silencer. I will put up some pics tonight or tomorrow and see what you think. Got to go to work now.

Captain

thumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (2).jpg

Admiral

The air silencer normally will accumulate a small amount of oil in the bottom due to the normal spitback of a reed valve engine. If the seams are not sealed completely, oil may slowly migrate to the motor pan over time or if the engine is operated at long periods of low speed. Tilting up the motor right away can allow more oil to drip.  The motor is designed to "inhale" the air box oil when accelerated sharply.

Two things can cause excess oil to accumulate in the air silencer -  chipped or broken reeds allowing more spitback or the recirculation valves, fittings, and hoses are not operational due to something restricting the check valves or fittings.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

To answer previous question is yes exhaust pressure tube is clean. Hera are two pics and I'm adding a couple more. It seems to me I have excessive amounts of oil that gets collected in the air silencer and no where to go. The oil is also leaking past throttle shaft bushing and into lower cowling, and then builds up and finds its way into splash well and into the water.

Captain

thumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail (4).jpg

Captain

thumbnail.jpg

Captain

The center pic was from this summer, even though pic only shows oil on the center air horn throttle shaft it does collect on all 3 but mostly the center and bottom throttle shafts. and also is the hose that is collapsed . The rest of pics are from last week.  Engine has been in storage since sept and engine in vertical position.

Admiral

What does the exhaust pressure sensor tube look like?