Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Ficht 115HP smoking

My Ficht 115 HP is smoking. I recently purchased this motor and put it on a 21 foot party barge. I ran it twice and it ran good and did not smoke but I couldn't get it to reach max RPMs. I know it needs re propping bc it is running at 3500 RPMs. I read an artical that said if it is not running at full RPMs but the throttle position says it is, this will cause it to smoke bc the oil injector runs off the throttle position. Is this possible?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Ficht 115HP smoking

[ Edited ]

If it is white or light gray smoke, that is harmless and normal steam. If the smoke is blue, too much oil and if black, too much fuel.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

A model number on this 115 Ficht motor would be handy, since there were many different model. Some made by OMC and some by Bombardier.

Highlighted
Captain

Both heavy load from over propping or an oil pressure fault from air in the oil lines will cause the oil pump to go to full oiling and cause smoke. You may need to remove the prop to report the current prop size.
Highlighted
Skipper

The Model number is E115FSLSSR   07/1999

Highlighted
Skipper

The Prop that is on the motor now is a 13-7/8 X 19 the boat is a 21ft two  24" pontoon

Highlighted
Captain

I haven't rigged many pontoon boat but I'd say you need a 15 pitch prop. There are also many different prop shapes/styles and some made for pontoon boats.
Highlighted
Captain

Agree with Rick about a 15" prop. However 3500 RPM is very low and won't be cured by 4" pitch. Ideally 5600 5800 RPM.

Is the engine height correct? How about the health of the engine? Compression?

Highlighted
Skipper

Well here is an update. i reprop to a 14 X 11 the RPm is now around 5500 Plus which is a little high but can manage, Took it for a test run down the river. It started up a little rough at first but out of the no wake zone rpm's up and ran good at about 23-25 mph.  About 6 miles down the river it started to miss alittle, got to the camp and it was running rough andc a light blue smoke check the oil tank and it had used about 1-1/2" of oil in 7 miles. We stop for a while and then started it up and it looked like a coal train. It was a light blue smoke like the fuel had way to much oil in it. It ran like crap going back up the river and sucked down another inch or so of oil.  I have done all of the test in the service manuals, Psi hold test. hooked it up to the computer did the injector primer bulb test and all seem to be working fine. i have checked the return line back to the tank all is good. I have cleaned the pressure regulator, put a pressure gauge where the pressure switch is and the pressure is around 12 Psi . Need Help ! 

One thing that i did find is that when we got home from the test run is that i could manualy squeeze the primer bulb and had very little to no return. So to day i took the return line off the injector  and i had to squeeze the primer bulb like hell to get oil to come through the injector. So the question is, is that normal i was thinking that the oil should just flow right out of the injector.  Any help !! Thanks      Any other test i should do ?  Thinking about putting the gauge back on and running motor tomorrow to see just want the PSI is again.

Highlighted
Captain

[One thing that i did find is that when we got home from the test run is that i could manualy squeeze the primer bulb and had very little to no return. So to day i took the return line off the injector  and i had to squeeze the primer bulb like hell to get oil to come through the injector. So the question is, is that normal i was thinking that the oil should just flow right out of the injector.  Any help !! Thanks      Any other test i should do ?  Thinking about putting the gauge back on and running motor tomorrow to see just want the PSI is again.]

That is all normal. There is a pressure valve on the return line to pressurerize oil pressure in pump. There were a supersession of this pump but obsolete according to Bossweb. I'm at home, Sunday, but will check at work tomorrow. I have a vague memory there is a NOS superceded pump in my spareparts. Will let you know tomorrow. 

Bluewater Bill may have more information on this. Possible service bulletin. I will have a look as well. 2000 model by the way. built in 1999.