Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Ficht 115HP smoking

A few things may make the engine burn large amounts of oil and emit blue smoke. One is a pin-hole in the oil pump diaphram or a faulty check valve in the oil injector assembly. Another could be a kinked oil return hose or inoperative oil pressure regulator assembly. The service manual explains how to pressure test the injector and the oil return system.

5500 rpm is great for a pontoon boat and an 11" prop is quite common for them.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Just to make sure, i took the line off at the outlet of the injector which would have taken the pressure regulator out of the line and i put a small piece of clear tubing in the hole coming out of the injector so i could catch the oil and man i had to squeeze like heck to get oil to come out. Is it possible that there is something in the injector to stop oil from passing through. i can not find any information on just how that injector is made.

Highlighted
Skipper

Mr. Bill that was one of the first things that the local Evinrude mechanic had told me to check was the diaphram pump, but i will go back and give it another look over. If i get time today i am going to put the pressure gauge back on and see whats going on. It is like you can not push oil out of the injector. You know the test where they tell you to block the return and put 30 psi on the inlet to see if the injector will hold. Well it is all most like that. 

Highlighted
Captain

Unfortunately the pump in my stock is 5001505, which is for 90* engines.
Highlighted
Skipper

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can explain to me just how this system is to work. How does the oil flow in and out of the injector, is there any type of valving in it. How much psi can the diaphragm pump produce. And at what psi is the plastic pressure regualtor going to keep the pressure at the injector. 

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Party-Brigade wrote:

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can explain to me just how this system is to work. How does the oil flow in and out of the injector, is there any type of valving in it. How much psi can the diaphragm pump produce. And at what psi is the plastic pressure regualtor going to keep the pressure at the injector. 

The diaphragm oil pump circulates the lube oil from the tank, through the pump, through the oil injector, and through the pressure regulator valve and back to the oil tank.

The oil injector operates just like the fuel injector in the following video ( from start to 1:40) except instead of spraying gasoline into a cylinder, there is a manifold on the end and a hose going to each cylinder for pressurized lubrication. A very small amount of oil goes into the fuel system.  The pressure regulator, depending on engine model, regulates up to about 20 psi in the system but a good pump by itself with the outlet hose blocked off can generate up to about 60 psi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QN-5uTZC7w

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

img036.jpg

Highlighted
Skipper

Just another update i pulled a vacume on the diaphrams both sides no oil and it held vac for a long time. I Put the PSI gauge back on and i can pump the oil bulb up to almost 30 psi with the line coming out of the injector took off. Now it will slowly bleed down to O psi . i took the line off going into the indector and i could not build up 0  PSI. i hooked it back up with the return line still off and i primed the buld to 20 + and put the injecton in to a test mode and i can see the psi dropping . I also did a lot of TPS and Oil freq and would like to send it to someone to look at not sure how to send and just what it is telling me..  

Highlighted
Captain

Not quite able to follow what you are trying to explain.

However, remove pressure valve number 9. Now you should be able to prime oil through pump without much resistance. If you can, replace pressure valve 9. If not there is a restriction in the pump or injector. 

I don't think you will find anybody who repairs them. Try to find a used one.

There's possibly one in my shed, but I'm in Australia.

Highlighted
Skipper

Do you know the right injector PT# and how many different ones will work. i did a search and got 3 or 4 different part numbers.